[News] Portland Praised for Free Software Leadership, MySQL Sticks to Roots

Open source finds open arms

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year, CNN hailed Oregon's leadership in open source and proclaimed
| Portland "the unlikely capital of a global software revolution."
`----

http://www.oregonlive.com/special/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1177017939181810.xml&coll=7

MySQL to remain as open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Marten Mickos, former CEO at MySQL and now senior vice president of Sun's
| database group, explained that the company has developed high-end add-ons
| such as encryption, native storage engine-specific drivers, that they will
| deliver to Enterprise customers only. Mickos stated, "MySQL isn't going
| closed source."
`----

http://www.newsoxy.com/mysql/to_remain_as_open_source/article10819.htm

Recent:

The end of the proprietary database?

,----[ Quote ]
| While Packer does not believe that proprietary databases are doomed, he does
| see the writing on the wall in emerging markets and that the increased use of
| open source will eventually surround proprietary databases in established
| markets. Unless the proprietary suppliers respond they risk losing business
| in the long-term.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/12/17/the-end-of-the-proprietary-database/

Are Open-Source Databases Ready for Production Applications?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, more and more, depending on the application.
|
| Oracle became the leading database in the 1990s because it ran better on
| high-end SMP Unix servers. But in those days most applications were still
| just dumb terminals talking to the big Unix box. So the database software had
| to be very sophisticated to perform well.

PostgreSQL publishes first real benchmark

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/postgresql-publishes-first-real-benchmark-17470