Re: oh, god! I hate vista!

____/ AZ Nomad on Sunday 10 August 2008 22:33 : \____

> Today I was trying to help a neighbor whose 5 month vista system is getting
> slower and slower.
>
> I installed spybot and the new version, 1.6, wanted to catalog a pile of temp
> files.  Apparently, there are 2.5 million temp files.  No fucking idea what
> process is leaving them behind.  Probably the "yahoo search" in HP advisor
> that came factory installed.
>
> In linux, I'd be able to remove them all in a few minutes.  Vista is going to
> need about 30 hours to get rid of them.  Wether I do it from the command
> line, let spybot do it, or do it in safe mode, it can only remove about
> 20-30/second
>
> I also tried to turn off file indexing for the hard drive.  Vista wanted to
> set attributes on every single fucking file in the entire system.  I gave up
> on that idea;  I didn't want to wait the week it would require.
>
> Unlike a vista laptop I recently struggled with that "only" had 512M of ram,
> this system has 3 gig of ram, 6 ghz of processor and a 70MB/s sata drive.
> And vista being a bloated pig run like shit.
>
> Right now I'm back at home, copying a hundred or so of movies to a usb drive,
> doing 3 simultanious transcodes.  I'd never know it.  Even though the CPUs
> are pegged at 100%, the file transfer is pluging away find at 40M/second and
> the
> response  time of the rest of the system is just like when the system is
> idle.
>
> In vista, if I so much as opened the properties dialog for "my computer",
> the window deleting the temp files would slow to 2-3/second.  Vista is *such*
> a piece of crap.

So, did you install a modern O/S for the gentleman?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/20/more_vista_copying_problems/

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista suffers from a bug that causes many machines to stall
| while deleting, copying and moving files, a flaw that has provoked
| consternation in online forums.
`----

http://www.theregister.com/2007/03/26/vista_copying_bug/

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Ribbon-type shortcuts in Palm handhelds leads to SMS talk. We must we
abbreviate?