Re: Olympic Videos not being offered to Linux Users by NBC

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
Jose <teacherjh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 05:10:09 +0000, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
>
>> http://ostatic.com/170826-blog/linux-users-on-nbcs-olympics-videos-we-
> dont-get-no-respect
>
> Why would a venue go through (what I perceive to be) extra effort to
> check the OS and deny carriage?  There are plenty of formats that are
> viewable in all systems, what's the point (other than linux bashing,
> which I don't think is it) of these new formats?

Vertical lock-in.  A time-honoured method for maintaining a monopoly in
the face of any attempt at competition;  it creates a huge exit-barrier,
in this case, the exit-barrier involves ensuring that the olympic
offering is changed, as well as the client offering - a barrier well
beyond the means of most individual users.

In this world, the customer is very much at the bottom of the pile,
their function merely to supply cash to the vendors as and when the
vendors need it.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |