[News] Vendors Should be Afraid of Proprietary Software's Ignorance

Reader Report from OSCON: The Tenth Annual Open Source Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Benjamin Mako Hill from the MIT Center for Future Civic Media presented on
| the ways that errors in everyday technology can present opportunities for
| encouraging the right kind of thinking. He used ATM crashes as an example of
| how typically invisible thinking becomes visible to users, stimulating
| immediate public discussion. Open Source Software can be used to further
| decentralize control over the technology that has such a powerful role in our
| lives.
`----

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/008312.html

Related:

ATM using un-activated Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, so lets be realistic for a moment here, first off, is 'Hackers Best
| Friend" MS Windows really the optimal choice for an operating system that
| spits out cash?
`----

http://www.itdrive.com/articles/177/1/ATM-using-un-activated-Windows/Page1.html

ATM with Pirated Windows [with photos]

,----[ Quote ]
| In Russian you can sometimes meet pirated copy of Windows even
| on ATM. It warns that this copy of Windows need activation and
| the work of ATM gets interrupted.
`----

http://englishrussia.com/?p=981#more-981

Why not Embedded? ATM's Running XP Professional...

,----[ Quote ]
| This time, I happened to be there when it suddenly BSOD'd and began a
| reboot cycle. Obviously, to BSOD it needs to run Windows, and moments
| later, that was confirmed. But that's not the story here -- believe it or
| not, most ATMs run Windows nowadays, and there's absoloutely nothing
| wrong with that.
|
| [...]
|
| There's a million reasons why an ATM should must be RTOS, be it Linux or
| VxWorks or Windows CE, but even if you don't go with RTOS, Windows XP
| Professional most certainly isn't the answer. Especially if it's not even
| SP2.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/287

ATMs hacked using MP3 player