[News] [Rival] Microsoft Burns Whatever It Has Left in the Bank (Buybacks to Doom)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Burns Whatever It Has Left in the Bank (Buybacks to Doom)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 21:59:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft: The Giant Buyback Theory Resurfaces

,----[ Quote ]
| Bloomberg published a story today which said that the company is about to
| unveil a plan to buy back as much as $20 billion of its stock. The notion was
| attributed to UBS analyst Heather Bellini, who actually floated the idea in a
| July 25 analyst report. And she is not the only one who thinks a huge buyback
| would be a good idea: in a July 22 post, I noted a report from Friedman
| Billings Ramsey analyst David Hilal, who theorized that the company could do
| a leverage buyback and repurchase as much as $50 billion of its shares.
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/08/06/microsoft-the-giant-buyback-theory-resurfaces/

Microsoft to buy $20B shares: UBS

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's share price is down 26 per cent so far this year. It has about $3
| billion remaining of a $36.2-billion, five-year repurchase program it started
| in 2006.
`----

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/calgarybusiness/story.html?id=4532d822-898d-4dc3-8073-da6d0fcfda8e

Recent:

Data: Cash balances at large tech companies

,----[ Quote ]
| PictureMicrosoft has reduced its legendary cash balance by tens of billions
| of dollars in recent years through a series of buybacks, dividends and
| acquisitions. The importance of cash was evident in the Microsoft-Yahoo saga:
| Had the Redmond company succeeded in the proposed $44.6 billion acquisition,
| it would have needed to borrow money for the first time in its history to
| fund the deal.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/138129.asp?source=rss

Microsoft sees slide in profits