Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft CEO Ignorant, Unable to Understand Free Software

On 2008-08-08, Mr Spock <Spock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:35:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Ballmer makes McCain look bright when it comes to technology
>>
> If Linux users put as much effort into Linux, as they do slagging off
> Windows, then maybe Linux would be far better than it is now, and maybe
> would have at least 40% market share.
>
> In the sense of more users, more hardware driver support, bigger software
> packages, etc, etc, etc. But NO, you all have fun bitching like spoilt
> little bratts, making linux sound like its a playschool dinky toy OS, and
> actually nothing to be taken seriously.

Let's see...

As a part of that whole "why can't Windows do anything with an empty
USB drive" shenanigan I referenced in a another thread, I decided to
play around with the drive to see if that helped. As it turned out,
putting some stuff on the drive helped (dunno why, it shouldn't matter
really). Anyways... so I put a bunch of h264/ac3 avi's on the thing.

This helps Vista see the drive now. I'm curious to see what it will
do with the videos of course. With Ubuntu it's all pretty automated
and driven by the explorer and the package manager.

Now Vista doesn't immediately know how to read these files and then
does a sort of crude copy of what Ubuntu does. To my amazement, it
is not some Microsoft codec pack that is the recommended software.

It's ffmpeg... free software. Imagine that.

That's a hoot.

> Fucking People !!! You almost make me feel embarrassed to admit I use
> Linux.
>
> Now look what you made me go and do, you made me frigging swear !!!!!

Oh, get over yourself.

Microsoft has done their best to make OO look good by way of Office2007.
Firefox is plugging the security/promiscuity holes in Windows in terms of
web browsing. Free software video decoders are plugging the holes when it
comes to "out of the box" Vista multimedia support.

Then WMP botches the aspect ratio on the video. It doesn't have any
obvious way to fix it either. It looks like that freshly purchased
Vista box needs some more stuff from the "playschool dinky toy OS"
to handle digital video sensibly.

Microsoft market share is fueled by grannies that won't buy a
Mac because they think they need msoffice and internet exploder
to be compatable with the rest of the world (and really dont).

--

	Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone               |||
	who has pirated their music                                  / | \