[News] FSF Makes Recommendations on Free Project Hosting

On the savannah, where the gnu roam...

,----[ Quote ]
| Sourceforge
|
| For a while, Sourceforge was released as free software. When VA Software
| decided to make it proprietary, two forks of the software were created --
| Savane, and GForge. Development of Sourceforge has moved along quite a lot
| since then, and the version of Sourceforge now is quite different from the
| free software projects that are still being maintained. One additional reason
| to avoid Sourceforge is that they include advertisements for proprietary
| software in their mailing lists, so simply using a mailing list on
| Sourceforge is helping to promote non-free software.
|
| Google Code
|
| Google also runs a project hosting service, providing Subversion on top of
| their proprietary BigTable system, as well as issue trackers, a wiki and a
| download area. Google Code refuses to allow projects hosted there to use
| certain free software licenses, including the GNU Affero GPL and the Mozilla
| Public License, one of the licenses used on the Firefox, Thunderbird and
| Mozilla internet suite projects -- arguing that these licenses are
| insufficiently popular.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/savannah

Google Code vs License Proliferation

,----[ Quote ]
| Why cut the license now?
|
| The MPL was one of six (seven with the Perl Artistic/GPLv2) permitted
| licenses at the time of the launch of Google Code. Two years in, it was at
| 2.7% of the total project licenses, against 42.6% GPL, 25.8% Apache, and ~8%
| for a few other license.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2008/08/06/licenseproliferation/

Maybe everyone (not just VMware) violates the GPL...

,----[ Quote ]
| Regardless, as James Bottomley (leading kernel developer) and the Linux
| kernel developers have argued, binary kernel modules are a bad idea, even if
| permitted.
|
|     Such modules negate the openness, stability, flexibility, and
|     maintainability of the Linux development model and shut their users off
|     from the expertise of the Linux community. Vendors that provide
|     closed-source kernel modules force their customers to give up key Linux
|     advantages or choose new vendors.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10010672-16.html

Recent:

Google's festering problem with the AGPL

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, no, Chris, AGPL is not "meaning something else altogether." It actually
| means precisely what the GPL was always intended to mean: Reciprocity. It is
| likely true that Google doesn't like that reciprocity requirement, but
| that's "something else altogether."
|
| What is the AGPL? It's the Affero General Public License, and finishes the
| job that GPLv3 was supposed to do: Broaden the definition of "distribution"
| enough to keep Web freeriders like Google, Digg, etc. from using open-source
| code without contributing back.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9917947-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Google pays for Affero ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The projects will join around 10 other AGPL-licensed efforts on SourceForge,
| compared to six on Google Code. Before the defections, Google had been
| discouraging other AGPL projects, saying Google Code does not support AGPL.
|
| The dispute between Google and developers who want to use AGPL - a version of
| GPLv3 tailored for use in software as a service - has rumbled on since last
| November, when AGPL was finalized.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/11/google_bans_aero/

Google blocking AGPL in Google Code

,----[ Quote ]
| So, first AGPL was not good enough for Google because it was not
| OSI-approved. That limited its popularity... Now it is OSI-approved. Still,
| it is not popular enough to be accepted in the Google closed open source
| hosting site?
|
| And, by the way, why should people put their open source code in the hands of
| someone who likes open source only when it does good to its business (ehm,
| that could include me, but we are not talking about me, are we ;-) ?
|
| C'mon Chris, give developers the ability of using AGPL for their own projects
| in Google Code. Your fight for no proliferation of licenses is something I
| subscribe to, but AGPL is the license of the future, no matter if Google
| likes it or not. And I can guarantee you it will become even more popular if
| it is accepted in Google Code...
`----

http://www.funambol.com/blog/capo/2008/03/google-blocking-agpl-in-google-code.html

Related:

GPL author: Google must share code

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies like Google that build their business on software such as
| Linux have a moral imperative to contribute back to the free
| software community, a prominent open source advocate said Tuesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/052307-gpl-author-google-must-share.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2x5dvf

Funambol Helps New AGPLv3 Open Source License Gain Formal OSI Approval

,----[ Quote ]
| March 13, 2008 - Funambol, the leading provider of Mobile 2.0 messaging
| software powered by open source, today announced that the AGPLv3 has received
| formal approval by the Open Source Initiative (OSI). Funambol led the process
| of the license's approval by the OSI after adopting AGPLv3 in November. It
| was the first company to adopt the license, which closes the "ASP loophole".
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10466.html

Funambol Is First Major Commercial OpenSource Company To Support AGPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,230442.shtml