[News] GNU/Linux is Big in the Datacentres, Trends Favour Linux

Outsider No More: Linux Critical In Many Data Centers

,----[ Quote ]
| In a sign of how much Linux has become a core element in many corporate data
| centers, many of the new products making their debut at this week's
| LinuxWorld show focus on such critical IT operations as data integration,
| disaster recovery and security management.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/209904081

Energy costs and data center complexity creating 'perfect storm,' says Avocent
exec

,----[ Quote ]
| In a preview of the LinuxWorld Conference & Expo presentation "Managing the
| Merge of Facilities and IT," C.C. Fridlin, the vice president of data center
| product management at Huntsville, Ala.-based Avocent Corp., said that the
| rising cost of power alters the value of assets so dramatically that IT and
| facilities staff need to collaborate to make the best choices in building,
| equipping and operating data centers. Perhaps even a data center architect is
| needed, he said.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1323735,00.html

Recent:

Fight The Power: Greening Your Linux Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux has a lot of advantages as a desktop operating system. Power
| management, unfortunately, still is not one of them. But there are plenty of
| ways to make a Linux system less power-hungry -- and some of the most
| effective fixes are also some of the easiest.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/02/fight_the_power.html

Linux is greener than Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Hear, hear. Linux runs just fine on existing desktop hardware, even on PCs
| that are several years old now. Give it a 1.5Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM,
| and Linux is more than adequate to support business tasks. No screaming 3Ghz
| CPU or 2GB of RAM are needed to run Linux, in contrast to the additional
| resources demanded to run Microsoft's deplorable Windows Vista.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/17/linux-greener-alternative-vista

Build a 14.5 watt data center in a shoebox

,----[ Quote ]
| The unit runs the SSD Linux operating system, which straps NetBSD userland
| functions onto the Linux kernel.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/27/small_data_center/

OS Roundup: Apple, Out of Touch With Server Room Needs

,----[ Quote ]
| So where does that leave Apple's server OS? In the nine years since its
| launch, it's gone precisely nowhere, and with Unix server spending declining
| in the first part of the year, according to IDC, it doesn't exactly look like
| sales are going to explode any time soon. Where will Apple be devoting its
| attention over the next year or two then: Developing its server OS or making
| more toys for the boys (and girls)? That's a tough one. Not.
|
| Lest you think I am just another mindless Apple basher, I'll proudly admit to
| having an iPod Touch, a black Classic, white fourth- and third-gen models, a
| silver Nano, and three Shuffles (one lost) in a variety of colors. But would
| I put an Apple Server in my business? Not a chance.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3762196

How to Deploy Linux From the Data Center to the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/179250/How_to_Deploy_Linux_From_the_Data_Center_to_the_Desktop