[News] H-P With Ballnux Preinstalled = Good; Vista = Bad

Hands on with HP's Mini-Note netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| For a lot less money, you can get a much less powerful Mini-Note. Prices
| start at US$499 for a Mini-Note running on SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10
| from Novell, a 3-cell lithium ion battery and a 4G byte flash memory module
| for storage. And there are rival netbooks even less expensive than the
| cheapest Mini-Note, such as Acer's Aspire one, which I found for NT$13,500
| (US$440) at one store in Taipei.
|
| [...]
|
| HP describes the Mini-Note as "Small but Mighty" on its Web site, and I
| couldn't agree more. It's stylish, sturdy and easy to type on.
| But it's one device where the major drawbacks, the heavy price tag and slow
| boot up and run time with Vista really hurt. Netbooks should be inexpensive
| and run fast, and some rivals to the Mini-Note that use XP or Linux OSs are
| better at that.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/080708-hands-on-with-hps-mini-note.html

They will hopefully offer something other than Novell. Microsoft exploits this.

Days ago:

32 Ultra-Mobile PCs That Run Linux

| # MSI Wind
| # Aware A-Pad
| # 3K RazorBook
| # Sylvania G
| # Gigabyte M912V
| # Unnamed GeCube
| # VIA OpenBook
| # Ink Mobile
| # VDL Jisus
| # Lenovo IdeaPad S10
| # Dell E
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/08/04/32-ultra-mobile-pcs-that-run-linux/

Recent:

Linux MID stack to debut at IDF

,----[ Quote ]
| Boasting a switch to RPM packaging, Moblin 2.0 is designed for MIDs based on
| the Intel Atom processors.

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux