[News] Free Software Never Dies: Reiser4 Development Continues

Reiser4 Update

,----[ Quote ]
| Edward Shishkin noted that Reiser4 development continues, "I am working on
| the plugin design document. It will be ready approximately in September. I
| believe that it'll address all the mentioned complaints." He added, "This
| document [defines] plugins [and] primitives (like conversion of run-time
| objects) used in reiser4, and describes all reiser4 interfaces, so that it
| will be clear that VFS functionality is not duplicated, there are not VFS
| layers inside reiser4, etc."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Reiser4_Update

Recent:

Btrfs 0.12, Performance Improvements

,----[ Quote ]
| Btrfs was first announced in June of 2007, as an alpha-quality filesystem
| offering checksumming of all files and metadata, extent based file storage,
| efficient packing of small files, dynamic inode allocation, writable
| snapshots, object level mirroring and striping, and fast offline filesystem
| checks, among other features. The project's website explains, "Linux has a
| wealth of filesystems to choose from, but we are facing a number of
| challenges with scaling to the large storage subsystems that are becoming
| common in today's data centers. Filesystems need to scale in their ability to
| address and manage large storage, and also in their ability to detect, repair
| and tolerate errors in the data stored on disk."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_0.12_Performance_Improvements

Related:

Kernel space: a better btrfs

,----[ Quote ]
| A powerful new filesystem for Linux already supports fast snapshots,
| checksums for all data, and online resizing--and plans to add ZFS-style
| built-in striping and mirroring.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/012208-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Btrfs Online Resizing, Ext3 Conversion, and More

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Mason announced version 0.10 of his new Btrfs filesystem, listing the
| following new features, "explicit back references, online resizing (including
| shrinking), in place conversion from Ext3 to Btrfs, data=ordered support,
| mount options to disable data COW and checksumming, and barrier support for
| sata and IDE drives".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_Online_Resizing_Ext3_Conversion_and_More

Linux: Btrfs, File Data and Metadata Checksums

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Mason announced an early alpha release of his new Btrfs
| filesystem, "after the last FS summit, I started working on a new
| filesystem that maintains checksums of all file data and metadata." He
| listed the following features as "mostly implemented": "extent based file
| storage (2^64 max file size), space efficient packing of small files,
| space efficient indexed directories, dynamic inode allocation, writable
| snapshots, subvolumes (separate internal filesystem roots), checksums on
| data and metadata (multiple algorithms available), very fast offline
| filesystem check".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8376

Interview: Chris Mason about Btrfs