Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Only 'Rents' iPhones, Sued for Turning Workers to 'Slaves'

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Only 'Rents' iPhones, Sued for Turning Workers to 'Slaves'
  • From: alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 04:25:15 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:23:54 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> iPhone hackers go too far, get shut down by Apple
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Apple's iPhone 2.0.1 firmware also breaks iPhone open source
> development. My | iPod Touch, which never made any trouble for AT&T or
> Apple, and never cost | any App Store vendor a dime in lost sales, won't
> run Unix apps any more. I'm | back to hauling a notebook around when
> just my iPod Touch would do. `----
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/08/iphone_hackers.html

You know, I don't get it. Why would anyone buy something like this
_knowing_ that they're going to be fighting against the manufacturer
constantly? This is essential a closed device right now and people
shouldn't be buying them to crack them; they should be boycotting them
and buying a device that's more friendly to their needs!

I had a blackberry which I used for about 1 week. I hated it. I ended up
buying an unlocked Nokia E61 (used) and buying a SIM card for Rogers
Wireless. It does do everything I want and yes the default settings don't
allow for installing unsigned applications, but that's just a setting
which can be changed. I have an SSH client, IRC Client, VNC Viewer, Opera
Mini installed. It does what _I_ want the way _I_ want it to.