[News] CPU/GPU Combo to Support Linux

Intel's Larrabee GPU Will Support Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel's Larrabee will not launch for another year or two, but additional
| details were shared this week on this project that will launch Intel into the
| discrete graphics arena. We've known this already, but Larrabee will be a
| many-core graphics processor with an x86 instruction set designed to compete
| with the graphics cards from both ATI/AMD and NVIDIA.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYzOA

With Larrabee chip, Intel takes swing at AMD, Nvidia

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Intel Corp. offered up few details about its upcoming Larrabee chip
| on Monday, analysts say the move puts rivals Advanced Micro Devices Inc. and
| Nvidia Corp. on notice that the competition is taking a new -- and maybe even
| more contentious -- turn.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9111686&source=rss_news50

Recent:

Purported details leak on AMD's "Fusion" CPU+GPU

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD's plan to integrate a CPU and GPU on a single chip, codenamed Fusion, has
| been a hot topic since the CPU manufacturer first announced it planned to
| purchase ATI. AMD hasn't had much to say about Fusion lately, beyond
| confirming that the project exists and is still in development, but new
| rumors have surfaced over what form Fusion might take when it surfaces in
| 2009.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080804-purported-details-leak-on-amds-fusion-cpugpu.html

EU thumps Intel with more anti-AMD charges

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true. The European Union has thrown a new set of anti-trust allegations
| at Intel.
|
| Earlier this week, rumors swirled that the EU would spring into action,
| adding charges to a European Commission investigation against Intel that's
| been going since 2001. Now the extra charges have arrived, with EU regulators
| accusing Intel of three new bits of "abusive conduct" designed to wound AMD's
| place in the x86 processor market.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/17/intel_eu_charges/

EU dumps more anti-trust charges on Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| New charges could delay the case - Intel will have two months to respond to
| any allegations made. After this the Commission could decide to publicly
| charge the company with anti-trust offences.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/16/intel_eu_charges_increased/

Related:

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427