[News] GNU/Linux-based Voting Machines in LinuxWorld

LinuxWorld gets an open source voting tryout

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Voting Consortium is giving its open source based voting machines a
| trial run at LinuxWorld, currently being held in San Francisco. In a mock
| election ballot for the 2008 Presidential election, attendees will be able to
| vote and see the votes tallied on a half hourly basis and see how the system
| supports recounts.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/LinuxWorld-gets-an-open-source-voting-tryout--/news/111243

Could Linux Change Democracy?

,----[ Quote ]
| These Linux machines started me thinking about the ideals behind Linux (and
| open source) and how they could be put to work within the workings of
| government. The ideals I’m referring to are its process: transparency,
| accountability and meritocracy based on contributions. Last year I was quoted
| in an article about Open Legislation.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/amanda/2008/08/05/could-linux-change-democracy/

Recent:

Voting machine gets LinuxWorld tryout

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday their machine will be put to the test at LinuxWorld in San
| Francisco, where the 10,000 people who are expected to attend the conference
| will get to vote in a mock presidential election pitting Barack Obama against
| John McCain.
|
| "The voting system in the U.S. is still not sufficiently accurate to
| determine the winner in a very close election," said Dechert, who has worked
| at Borland International and Intel developing and testing software. "By the
| time we're done (with the mock election), nobody will have any doubt."
|
| The LinuxWorld conference is held every year in San Francisco to discuss
| open-source software - software whose code is designed and maintained by
| volunteers. The conference takes its name from Linux, a computer operating
| system designed by Linus Torvalds in the 1990s that has a passionate
| following. It competes against Microsoft Windows and has spawned software for
| numerous devices, including voting machines.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/02/BUFD1224UC.DTL

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The brazilian Election Supreme Court announced at April 4th 2008, that the
| 2008 elections at Brazil will use GNU / Linux electronic voting machines with
| software digital authentication.
|
| The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (the brazilian Election Supreme Court),
| officially announced on April 4th, 2008, that the brazilian 2008 elections
| will use 430 thousand electronic voting machines migrated from VirtuOS and
| Windows CE to GNU / Linux and open source softwares for security and auditing
| defined by proper law.
`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/tse_migrates_to_linux

Open-source electronic voting

,----[ Quote ]
| An election worker would then scan the bar code to record the vote. At the
| end of the election or at choice points during the day, a tally sheet could
| be printed, also with a barcode. The barcode uses Open Source PDF-417, a
| standard that is also used in identification cards and inventory systems and
| can be read by most scanners. Within the two-dimensional bar code is a
| numerical-coded sequence that shows how a person voted. There is also a
| unique identifier so that the ballot cannot be counted a second time. The
| printed ballot cannot be linked with a specific person, but the ballot can be
| associated with the electronic tally stored in the computer.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-9999555-83.html

Related:

Are You Ready for Open Voting?

,----[ Quote ]
| They're putting their money where their mouth is, too: they've developed a
| prototype system in Python on Linux that is open source and designed for ease
| of use, as well as to preserve a paper trail. The current goal is to get the
| system adopted by California in time for the 2008 elections.
`----

http://ostatic.com/165237-blog/are-you-ready-for-open-votingss

Open, Accurate Electronic Voting? It Can Be Done.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Consortium's volunteers developed the software for the PC based Ubuntu
| (or Linux) operating system. Ubuntu is free and open-source and, most
| importantly, is publicly available. On January 12th of this year the software
| was successfully used in connection with an election.
`----

http://www.alternet.org/democracy/77487/

Open Voting Process Demonstrated in San Luis Obispo

,----[ Quote ]
| We used the Ubuntu (Linux) operating system, which is also free and open
| source. As always, our code is publicly available [1].
`----

http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/blog/2008-jan-14/open_voting_process_demonstrated_in_san_luis_obispo

Voting 2.0, Part 1: The Trouble With Closed Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| "The biggest problem is the lack of transparency in voting technology,"
| Felten, who is professor of computer science and public affairs and director
| of the center for information technology policy at Princeton, told
| LinuxInsider.
|
| "This means not only that it's difficult for citizens to know the details of
| how their votes have been counted, but also the lack of transparency extends
| to Election Day," Felten explained. "You want to know not only what is the
| technology counting the votes, but also that on Election Day it counts them
| correctly."
|
| Several examples have surfaced in recent years that suggest there is cause
| for concern.

Voting 2.0, Part 2: The Open Source Proposition

,----[ Quote ]
| As designed, however, the Ubuntu-based system is also voter-verifiable
| because the public can review in advance the screens they'll see on Election
| Day, presented as pre-rendered picture files.

Open source software use sought in automated election system

,----[ Quote ]
| A newly organized group of information technology professionals has called on
| government to use open standards and open source technology for the
| automation of elections in the Philippines.
|
| [...]
|
| Ito Gruet, who is an IT professional and member of the Advocacy for Open
| Systems in Elections, said the use of open standards or open source
| technology would promote "transparency" in the development of the automated
| election system.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20080518-137318/Open-source-software-use-sought-in-automated-election-system

Microsoft Muscles the NYS Legislature