Re: [News] [SOT] MAFIAA Resorts to Extortion to Hopelessly Revive Dead Biz Model

Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> No wonder Lessig  quit to fight political corruption
>
> I just revisited his presentation on how creativity is being strangled
> by the law (queue image of Ballmer "cutting off [people's] air supply"
> by wrapping his big; sweaty hands around their throats):
>
> http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/larry_lessig_says_the_law_is_strangling_creativity.html
>
> It contains several important messages, but the primary one is that
> ordinary people's participation in (and contribution to) culture is
> essential to its development (the "read/write" society). Whereas if
> our culture becomes corporate controlled ("read only") then it will
> wither and die, turning humanity into zombie consumers (Lessig then
> shows a clip of Apple's "1984" advert for illustration).
>
> Our right; ability and motivation to contribute to culture is being
> slowly eradicated by the corporatists, via their political lackeys,
> who turn people into sheep, and creativity into crime.
>
>> while Google's copyrights czar deleted 800 blog posts and closed his
>> blog out of frustration the other day.
>
> I missed that one.
>
> Ah, here it is:
>
> [quote]
> William Patry has shuttered his blog, The Patry Copyright Blog. The
> archives are gone too. He tells why in a final post. It's a tragedy,
> nothing less.
>
> No, no one at Google made him do it. He did it for a couple of reasons,
> both of which resonate with me, and I think they are important to
> highlight. I must warn you, it's a bit depressing. Here are the reasons:
>
>     1. The Inability or Refusal to Accept the Blog for What it is:
>        A Personal Blog
>     2. The Current State of Copyright Law is too depressing
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20080803135012312

I still dont' understand why he'd take it down, though.  If it's
revelant, why not leave it up?  The only reason to take it down is
surely because of threats?

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |