[News] Free Software All Grown Up, Enters Enterprises

A Penguin with an Egg: Growing the Open-Source Community

,----[ Quote ]
| The open-source community is no longer the sole province of technology geeks.
| The mood is shifting. As the mistress of ceremonies at OSCON (the Open Source
| Convention) commented: instead of open source trying to figure out its place
| in the enterprise, today the enterprise is seeking its place in open source.
| And that, among other trends, is causing changes in the community.

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when you thought venture interest in open source was quieting down,
| along comes the biggest quarter in open source's (still young) history:
| $203.75 million raised, as reported by The 451 Group. This trumped the
| previous record of $193.6 million from Q4 2006.

How Open Technology Could Lead Us Out Of Recession

,----[ Quote ]
| At the same time, the United States has not only lost its former dominance in
| world technology, it is rapidly achieving a status of "a nation of
| shopkeepers".
| We need to remove the barriers to entering the market. We need to be the
| innovators in science and technology again. We need to regain the excitement
| we had about scientific progress back in the 1940's and 1950's. We need
| technicians in white lab coats, and we need to look up to them because they
| are giving us wonderful things like atomic power and trips to the moon again.
| We need kids to be excited about getting a chemistry set again. We need to
| let those garage start-ups break out of that garage and open up their own
| factory. We need to bring back homebrew computer clubs. We need people who
| can say that they know something about computers besides how to turn one on.
| In short, we need more geeks. Geeks make money.

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| It is flattering to be mentioned, Mr. Whitehurst said, but he noted that
| corporate customers and the industry benefit from what he called Red
| Hat’s “Switzerland status” — not being a province of one of the major powers
| in the technology industry.

Economic downturn = Financial upturn for GroundWork and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a great time to be in open source. When I see people straining to sell
| and buy homes, I can smell the recession. But when I go to work selling
| open-source solutions, I can taste prosperity. A downturn separates the wheat
| from the chaff. Here's hoping for even more open-source "wheat."

Sun: Economic slowdown favors open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to ZDNetAsia in an exclusive interview, he said the economic
| slowdown in the United States will favor open source companies. "During an
| economic slowdown, not everything slows down [and] IT projects will continue
| to be undertaken. But IT budgets will be reduced," he said, noting that
| companies will then turn to lower cost software options such as open source.

Software Firms Face Recession Ripple Effect

,----[ Quote ]
| If the economic downturn hits the information technology sector, investors in
| business software companies are probably safe for one more quarter of
| earnings reports.

Forrester cuts tech outlook on U.S. recession risk

,----[ Quote ]
| Technology research firm Forrester Research Inc cut its forecast for 2008
| global technology purchasing growth by a third on Sunday, citing the risks of
| a U.S. recession

Forrester, IDC cut tech outlook on US recession risk

Recession fears could end bull market

,----[ Quote ]