Re: [News] Man Fights for a Truly Free Fedora GNU/Linux

____/ Homer on Tuesday 05 August 2008 14:08 : \____

>> ____/ Homer on Tuesday 05 August 2008 11:02 : \____
>
>>> The linux-libre kernel seems like a lot less work, given that Oliva
>>> has essentially done most of that work already, so it may be
>>> trivial to produce Fedora packages from his patches. If that's the
>>> case then expect linux-libre packages in the repo soon too.
>>
>>> http://rpm.slated.org
>>
>> What will it be called? Slatix?
>
> Well the kernel package will just be called
> with other maintainers to check for the correct naming convention. I
> think the former sounds more correct, although it will mean adding a
> "Provides = kernel" in the spec, and it may confuse packages that build
> against the kernel headers. Trial and error will reveal all.
>
> As for the subsequent distro that may emerge from this effort ... I
> haven't given any thought to a name at all. When pressed for a name for
> things that are currently nameless, I usually just call them "Bob".

Bob is a bad name. It's like Ubuntu ME (Muslim Edition). There's Windows ME and
Microsoft Bob, so...

There's also Robert (Bob) Bach, who is a Microsoft executives caught (but not
prosecuted and jailed in the US of Advertising) for financial fraud [1,2,3].

Well, anyway, you know what RMS says:

"When I do this, some people think that it's because I want my ego to be fed,
right? Of course, I'm not asking you to call it "Stallmanix"!"

                        --Richard Stallman

___
[1] Microsoft exec dumped stock prior to Red Ring announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| To make matters more murky, the sales were not registered with the Securities
| and Exchange Commission within the mandatory two days of the transaction, a
| result of an alleged "administrative error." Microsoft has since remedied the
| issue by following the "procedures required of late-filers."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/08/14/microsoft-exec-dumped-stocks-prior-to-red-ring-addresment

[2] Microsoft's Bach sold more stock before Xbox news

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. executive Robbie Bach sold $3 million more in company stock
| during the period leading up to an announcement about a costly flaw in its
| Xbox video game console than previously reported, according to a filing
| Monday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsofts-bach-sold-additional-stock/story.aspx?guid=%7BBECA3A50-EF33-4161-A111-A43BDC8B0462%7D&siteid=yhoof

[3] Insider Trading Hasn't Affect Microsoft Stock - Yet

,----[ Quote ]
| MarketWatch.com reports that Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's
| Entertainment and Devices division, sold $6.2 million of Microsoft
| stock just prior to announcing that Microsoft was going to have to
| extend XBox 360 warranties to three years because of extensive
| failures. The filings note that this was not part of any
| scheduled diversification or selling program; this was a
| conscious, unscheduled sale by the guy in charge of releasing
| news that could affect the value of Microsoft stock.
|
| [...]
|
| Insider trading is a very serious violation of the law; just
| ask Martha Stewart, who served five months in prison for
| avoiding losses of $43,000 through trades that just had suspicious
| timing (no insider trading was actually proven). This is $6.3
| million that went straight into Robbie Bach's pocket.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070713/40947_id.html?.v=1

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Open minds, open source