[News] Choice and Taste as a Distro: Parsix Review, Slackware-Ubuntu Comparison

First Look - Parsix GNU/Linux 1.5r1

,----[ Quote ]
| Parsix is a nice solid little distro, but I'm finding it difficult to list
| one hard compelling reason why someone should switch to it. If you prefer the
| Persian language and keyboard, then Parsix is definitely for you. If you'd
| like a nice Debian derivative with a pretty GNOME desktop that works good,
| comes in one CD, and uses APT/Synaptic, then perhaps give Parsix a try.
| For someone with Linux experience the installer is user-friendly, but for
| someone coming straight from Windows it may not be. However, the system is as
| easy to use as any other. It has handy features and applications, and the
| Parsix software repositories have lots more.
| It's just a good little distro. I think if you were looking for an
| alternative to Ubuntu, then Parsix is a good choice. In fact, that's the
| feeling I get every time I test Parsix - it's Ubuntu for folks who don't want
| to use Ubuntu.

Slackware vs Ubuntu: Old vs New

,----[ Quote ]
| Slackware is a old linux distrobution that is very powerful, customizable,
| and fast.
| It runs on a fairly new 2.6 kernel, KDE 3.5.9 and it uses pkgtools as its
| package manager
| pkgtools has no dependency checking, repositories or any form of auto getting
| software unless you manually download it off of the internet.
| Slackware gives you ultimate customization powers, a unix feel, and very easy
| and customizable installer.
| [...]
| Ubuntu is a very user-friendly, gnome based linux distrobution. It has a
| great userbase and theres plenty of tech support for it too. It’s a great
| linux distro for someone who doesn’t like messing with Linux too much.

That's the beauty of Linux. There's something for everybody. I personally hop
between distros every time I install one because it's fun. That's like
ordering a different meal every time you dine.

Parsix GNU/Linux 1.5r1 has been released

,----[ Quote ]
| An updated version of Parsix GNU/Linux 1.5 code name `Viola` is available
| now. Viola r1 is synchronized with Parsix and Debian testing repositories as
| of July 24, 2008. This version contains several bug fixes, updated kernel
| drivers, updated documentation and updated X.Org. Highlights: GNOME 2.22.3,
| GNU Iceweasel 3.0.1, Pidgin 2.4.3 and OpenOffice.org 2.4.1. Viola officially
| supports Compiz-Fusion, VirtualBox-OSE and GNU Flash Player.

A Symphony For Viola: Parsix 1.5r0 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I can't praise Parsix 1.5r0 enough: It's stable while being cutting edge,
| stylish while being practical and is certainly in my top five favourite
| distributions, which is saying something given how low-profile it remains
| (it's still only at No 57 on the Distrowatch page-hit ranking list, which is
| ridiculously low).
| Try it – please – and you'll see what I mean.

Parsix GNU/Linux 1.5r0 codename 'Viola' has been released

,----[ Quote ]
| After a two-week delay, we proudly announce the immediate availability of
| Parsix GNU/Linux 1.5r0 codename 'Viola'. Parsix Viola brings several new
| features, contains a new kernel, updated software packages, updated
| documentation, improved installer system and several fixes for the reported
| defects.

First Look at Parsix GNU/Linux 1.0r0, Ramon Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux distributions keep on updating, and upgrading and releasing new
| editions and basically getting better, faster, stronger and more usable,
| otherwise they will just be dead with no one to miss them or even be
| interested in them. That’s just the way it works, which is very good for the
| end user. Parsix Linux is no different.

Parsix GNU/Linux 1.0 Is Here

,----[ Quote ]
| A new version of Parsix Linux was just released, a few minutes ago! It comes
| with new features, bug fixes and many improvements over previews releases.
| Among the improvements, we can notice that the Rhythmbox audio player was
| replaced by the popular and sexy Exaile. Moreover, software such as IP Traf,
| Bug Buddy, AptOnCD, XawTV, xfardic-xdb-gcide, qemuctl, qemu-launcher, rpm,
| espeak and tsclient were added or re-added by popular demand.

Parsix Linux 1.0 Test 3 Has Been Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Highlights: GNOME 2.20.3, Linux kernel with CK, TuxOnIce, CFS v24,
| iwlwifi with led support and mactel patches, OpenOffice 2.2.1 and GNU
| Iceweasel

Parsix GNU/Linux 0.90r1 has been released

,----[ Quote ]
| Highlights: GNOME 2.18.3, Linux kernel with CK and Suspend2 patches,
| read/write mode is default for NTFS partitions, improved hardware detection
| system and hard disk installer and replaced Totem with VLC.

Parsix GNU/Linux 0.90r0 codename 'Barry' has been released

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the most
| perfect version of Parsix GNU/Linux ever, 0.90r0 codename 'Barry'.
| This version brings the recent open source technologies bound into
| a quality live/installation CD-ROM right to your desktop/laptop PC.

Parsix 0.90 Test 3

,----[ Quote ]
| The third test release of Parsix GNU/Linux 0.90 is now available. New in
| this LiveCD is GNOME 2.18.2, Sun Java replaced by GCJ, added the Parsix
| Book to the LiveCD, several bug fixes, glibc 2.5, and many other
| improvements.

Parsix GNU/Linux 0.85.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| An updated version of Parsix GNU/Linux is available now. This version
| merges all published updates on the Parsix and Debian repositories
| since December 1, 2006 to Mar 1, 2007 into a rock solid collection
| and fixes all reported bugs.

Centers established to observe open source software copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| The Deputy ICT Minister in Infrastructure IT Affairs added, "The
| expansion of open source software production is seen mainly as
| the activity of the country's universities and we intend to
| subdivide its various fields of activities among countries with
| IT faculties."

Science and Art Foundation's wonderful work in Bam

,----[ Quote ]