Re: How I got a Windows Vista refund from HP

____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 03 August 2008 10:21 : \____

> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>> thufir <hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I remain astonished that nobody has yet tested this issue legally.
>>
>> It is tested, at least in germany. Any EULA you get to see *after* the sale
>> is worth far less legally than used toilet paper
>
> Ah, good!  I believe that the same situation would apply here.
>

>>> The practice appears to be quite reprehensible.
>>>

>> It is. But some countries still have those backwater laws
>
> quite.

See this article from last year:

Do Microsoft's EULAs have any real legal basis?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft has no special exemption from the sale of goods act." Well,
| no, probably not - but it might still be selling you "services"
| instead of "goods". But the real point to remember is that it doesn't
| matter a jot what the "logical" position is, it is what the courts
| decide that matters.
|
| As far as I know, no one has tested Microsoft's EULAs in a UK court
| and, until someone does, Microsoft will just go on assuming that they
| work. And I don't fancy the risk of taking on Microsoft's expensive
| lawyers in court myself...
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/25/microsoft_eula/

Germany, by the way, also forbids what Microsoft did to Linux last year
(slander around patents without any proof... never  even mind if software
patents are suitable as toilet paper replacement in the country).

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Have you hugged your penguin today?
 13:00:01 up 12 days, 23:06,  1 user,  load average: 1.01, 0.89, 0.80