[News] Publications and Media Adopt Free Software Philosophy

Irrational publishing and recursive publics

,----[ Quote ]
| As a sort of “proof of concept” of Ariely’s claim, I was interested in the
| experiment in a new kind of “hybrid” publishing going on with a recent book
| by Rice University professor Chris Kelty. “Two Bits: the Cultural
| Significance of Free Software” is published by Duke University Press (you can
| buy a copy here), but is also available online on this author-maintained
| website, twobits.net. One can read the book online, comment on its various
| chapters, and “modulate” with it – use it in small chunks to create new
| scholarship. Kelty uses the concepts of re-mix and recursive publics to
| experiment with what we really mean when we say that scholarship builds on
| the works of others. This experiment with modulations will be the most
| interesting part of Kelty’s new model of scholarship to follow, but in light
| of what is discussed in the Ariely interview, I think there are two more
| basic questions to ask about this kind of hybrid model for scholarly
| publishing.
`----

http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/2008/07/31/irrational-publishing-and-recursive-publics/
http://tinyurl.com/6a3jjy

Get your music free at Jamendo

,----[ Quote ]
| Jamendo is a community of free, legal and unlimited music published with
| Creative Commons licenses. Upload your music, share your favorite artists!
`----

http://www.abelarde.com/wordpress/2008/07/19/get-your-music-free-at-jamendo/

Recent:

Yes, I'm Free, Said The Open Source Software Idea

,----[ Quote ]
| A new day took it's dawn and the idea, called by the name Open Source chose
| to connect with the well-known name Netscape. Netscape embraced the idea and
| willingly let its source code open up. That was the intention of the idea and
| the idea continued to grow, strengthened by conquering a new name. The name
| it conquered was Netscape.
|
| Now many years have passed and the idea has grown old in age but maintaining
| its youthful essence by attracting more people and more names to itself. It
| has become mainstream. It has become large. It has become worldwide.
`----

http://www.informativepost.com/2008/06/01/Yes-Im-Free-Said-The-Open-Source-Software-Idea-821.htm

Andrew Keen on New Media

,----[ Quote ]
| The knowledge business is getting wikified. Last week I was at Balliol
| College at Oxford University with Wikipedia co-founder Dr Larry Sanger to
| debate the proposition that "the internet is the future of knowledge". And we
| agreed that today's open-source internet – with its user-generated wikis and
| blogs – was indeed radically democratising the way in which knowledge is now
| being created and distributed.
|
| [...]
|
| The peer-to-peer production of open-source information is increasingly
| becoming mainstream. Even traditional knowledge companies are integrating Web
| 2.0 tools like wikis, podcasts and blogs into their business and media
| strategies.
`----

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/andrew-keen-on-new-media-837997.html

The Systems Biology Research Tool: evolvable open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://7thspace.com/headlines/285711/the_systems_biology_research_tool_evolvable_open_source_software.html