[News] Free Software Skills Are Needed

The open-source job shortage

,----[ Quote ]
| I spent some time today with the IT team of a large enterprise. There has
| been talk of an open-source job boom, but what I heard today suggested a
| relative dearth of critical open-source talent.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10004968-16.html

Open Source Software Developer Careers

,----[ Quote ]
| How we develop open source software can vary widely from project to project.
| However, the roles we play are similar across projects: user, developer,
| tester, documenter, committer, etc. For a while now, I have been interested
| in what open source means for software developer careers, in particular with
| respect to fame and fortune.
`----

http://www.riehle.org/2008/08/01/open-source-software-developer-careers/

Recent:

Thinking about career in Linux? Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Considering a lot of tools which need to be cited for this cause, we’ll
| complete the entire article in 2 parts.
|
| Here you go;
|
| Apache ServerApache: The world’s most widely used web-server, known for it’s
| open source architecture. It is often termed as Apache HyperText Transfer
| Protocol (HTTP) server program. Apache is one of the primal requirements to
| build a good CMS or likewise, in an Open Source industry. If not much, you
| need to learn the basics. Most Linux related jobs would ask you to have a
| hands-on over the apache administration.
`----

http://brajeshwar.com/2008/career-in-linux-1/

Open Source as An Easy Answer for Better Developer Visibility (and Career
Opportunity)

,----[ Quote ]
| As a participant in an open source project, everything is in your control.
| You pick the project that you think is the most valuable, or in which you can
| develop the skills you need but can't justify on your résumé. In the universe
| of open source, you're judged only by what you contribute. Corporate politics
| aren't an issue. If your code is useful, or your technical documentation is
| appreciated, or you're just a welcoming voice on the community IRC channel,
| you have a good chance of being invited to become a committer.
`----

http://advice.cio.com/esther_schindler/contribute

Australia’s first Open Source Census published

,----[ Quote ]
| Results of Australia’s first large-scale Open Source community census have
| been released to the public.
|
| [...]
|
| Open Source was suggested as an export avenue to offset a part of the trade
| deficit. Currently, 45 percent of the open source industry service export
| markets, generating revenue of $60 million, the report says.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/73600,australia%E2%80%99s-first-open-source-census-published.aspx

Aussie coders not in open source for the money

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Aussie-coders-not-in-open-source-for-the-money/0,130061733,339285537,00.htm