[News] Sheldon Goldberg an Exposed Patent Troll; Ubuntu Takes Defensive Stance

eBaum's World named in large internet patent lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| In the late 1990s, few would have predicted the internet would become the
| giant artery we use today for our commerce, entertainment and daily
| activities. However, back in the late 1990s, there were patents floating
| around for many of the tools we use on the internet…and someone bought them.
|
| Over the last 10 months the patent buyer, , has filed suit against some of
| the largest websites out there: Careerbuilder, Blockdot, CNet, Jabez
| Networks, The Washington Post, The Weather Channel, The New York Times and
| Rochester-based eBaum’s World. Goldberg himself is based on the west coast
| and is known for buying patents on a variety of inventions.
`----

http://rochesterhomepage.net/content/fulltext/?cid=24731

Medibuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Medibuntu is a packaging project dedicated to distributing software that
| cannot be included in Ubuntu for various reasons, related to geographical
| variations in legislation regarding intellectual property, security and other
| issues:
|
|     * patentability of software, algorithms, formats and other abstract
|       creation
|     * legal restrictions on freedom of speech or communication
|     * restrictions on the use of certain types of technical solution, such as
|       cryptography
|     * legal restrictions on imports of software technology, requiring for
|       example specific permissions
|     * etc.
`----

http://www.medibuntu.org/index.php

They should make patent trolling a federal crime.

Recent:

The Delusions Of Nathan Myhrvold

,----[ Quote ]
| And here Myhrvold is either outright lying or he's ignorant (he can let us
| know which one). First of all no one has ever said that patent litigation is
| threatening to stop all innovation. They've just said that it is slowing the
| pace of innovation. And there's plenty of evidence to support that, despite
| Myhrvold's claim that there's none. James Bessen and Michael Meurer just came
| out with a whole book detailing much of the evidence, and David Levine and
| Michele Boldrin also have a book with even more evidence. Did Myhrvold simply
| not know about these? Or is he lying to PC World?
|
| [...]
|
| I'm sure Myhrvold is a smart guy -- and he may truly believe that he's
| helping inventors and changing the world -- but he's either being purposely
| misleading or he's ignorant when it comes to patents and how they interact
| with the economy.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080511/1529011081.shtml

Related:

Playing Microsoft Patent Poker

,----[ Quote ]
| This time though, while Ballmer slinks away to try to con … convince people
| that Microsoft Unified Communications somehow offers people more than what
| Cisco's VOIP (voice over IP) been offering customers for years, a patent
| attack finally launches at Linux. Specifically, IP Innovation, a subsidiary
| of Acacia Technologies Group, has filed a patent infringement claim against
| Linux distributors Novell and Red Hat.
|
| So was it just timing, or was it something more? Let's take a look at the
| players.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2201579,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9816163-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20