Re: Theora Video Backend for Firefox

"Rick" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:evWdnZ40a6hnsg7VnZ2dnUVZ_uOdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 17:24:00 +0200, Dale Harris wrote:
>
>> "Rick" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> <http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2008/07/theora-video-backend-for-firefox-
>>> landed.html>
>>>
>>> [quote]
>>> Thursday, July 31, 2008
>>> Theora Video Backend for Firefox Landed It was announced at the Firefix
>>> Plus summit today that Firefox will include native Theora and Vorbis
>>> support for the HTML 5 media elements. So <video> and <audio> will
>>> support those codecs built into Firefox itself.
>>> [/quote]
>>>
>>> Hopefully we'll start seeing more Ogg media on the Web :-)
>>>

>> Yeah, about time someone picked up on Ogg Theora. It's a beautifull
>> format and completely open and free. Nokia even campaigned against it
>> becoming part of HTML 5 and I dislike them for that.
>>
> Do you remember their reasoning?

They argued that Ogg Theora wasn't really free. How they convinced the W3C
of this is still beyond me but it seemed to work. Problem is that now that
FireFox supports Theora they're in for a mudbath.

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/12/11/removal-of-ogg-vorbis-and-theora-from-html5-an-outrageous-disaster/