Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

On Aug 1, 8:02 am, Hadron <hadronqu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviUfYMihM&feature=related
>
> Enjoy.
>
> ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW
> think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

The PS3 has some pretty sophisticated hardware, and it does have the
interfaces needed for common peripherals.  The real issue is what you
want to do with your PC.  If you want to play game, let PS/3 be a PS/
3.  If you want to browse the web, read e-mail, and IM, then a PS/3
connected to a 1080P (1920x1080) display could be a really nice
alternative to a PC.

The nice thing about Linux is that you can also get all of the other
Linux OSS applications, as well as platform Independent Java
applications.  You might still have to have support for external USB
drive or Firewire drive, and support for high speed internet
connectivity, but again, these aren't huge problems for the PS/3.

Remember that the PS/2 also supported Linux, and many people in Asia
used PS/2 with Linux as a Web Browser and E-mail platform, as well as
basic text applications.  It opened the doors for several million new
Web users who might not otherwise have had access to the Internet.

> "By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
> moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the last
> year doesn't seem to me like it hasn't changed much in 16 years."

Keep in mind that for Linux to be counted in the survey you are
quoting, it takes a bit of special configuration.  The user has to
install CrossOver, then they have to enable ActiveX.

Another survey which only counts IP addresses, but doesn't have the
prerequisites is:

Which shows Linux+other at about 8-9% (90 million users).  But even
this measurement is flawed since most Linux users share NAT IP
addresses, and often the NAT is miscounted as Windows.  Meanwhile, the
public DHCP addresses are reassigned as much as the pool permits.

Perhaps when we start to see IPv6, we will start to see real IP
addresses.