Re: [News] [Rival] Legalised Bribery Takes Over Congress, Microsoft Still Heavily Involved

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] Legalised Bribery Takes Over Congress, Microsoft Still Heavily Involved
  • From: Sinister Midget <fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:27:38 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2008-08-01, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:

> Google and Yahoo Small Fries In Lobbying
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| When it comes to lobbying Congress, Google and Yahoo are relative
>| lightweights compared to other companies. Both companies combined spent about
>| $1.3 million last quarter--$730,000 from Google and $630,000 from Yahoo.
>| Microsoft nearly doubled them, and Verizon, as a single company, has spent
>| three times as much as all three.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| Last year a total of $2.82 billion was spent lobbying Congress, according to
>| OpenSecrets.org, and 2008 is well on its way to surpassing the $3 billion
>| mark.
> `----
>
> http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/07/31/google-and-yahoo-small-fries-in-lobbying
>
> “Did you know that there are more than 34,750 registered lobbyists in
> Washington, D.C., for just 435 representatives and 100 senators? That's 64
> lobbyists for each congressperson.”
>                                         CIO.com

That doesn't show the true impact. Many of those in the legislative
branch have few loppyists after them because they have no influence,
don't sit on powerful committees, can automatically be counted on to
vote certain ways, etc. That means that a number of people have huge
lobbyist followings, while others have almost none.

Anyway, I thought when those waskuwie webubwicans lost the House and
Senate all of that was stopped. Yeah. And the pork. The earmarks were
stopped, too. That's what they were going to do when they took control
of the legislative houses.

Does this mean Nancy "I am Woman, Hear me Roar" Pelosi and "Dirty"
Harry Reid made up tales of future (prior to the election) ethical
behavior? Does it mean they have their own versions of the Funkenbusch
Wacky Definishun Dictionary that "modifies" common meanings of words
like "unethical", "fraud" and "lie" to mean opposites?

Of course it does. "Unethical", the one that has the meaning most of us
expect it to have, only applies to that party with an "R" at the
beginning. When the other guys do the same thing that's known as
"constituent services", "serving the district" and the like. We know
that's all true, too, because the "free" and "open" press reports it
that way.

Also, when the "R" guys do it, they don't have any constituents (except
maybe Big Oil© or the NRA), which proves they're traitors and selling
influence. But when the "D" guys do it (often to the same or similar
groups), everybody is their constituent: the "American People", hate
groups, the ACLU, companies wanting to sell defense technology to
countries that hate the US, cell phone companies, Iran, Nigeria, the
UN, "undocumented aliens" (it may be against the law to use the term
"illegal" for people who break the law now, unless there's an "R" at
the beginning of their party affiliation), basically everybody except
the actual American people.

--
Don't throw your PC out of the window. Throw Windows out of your PC.