Re: [News] Ogg is Coming to Hundreds of Millions of PCs!!

On 2008-07-31 23:05, Matt wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Firefox to Support Open Video Format in Next Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Blizzard reports from this week’s Mozilla Summit: Firefox will natively | support the Ogg Theora video format! `----

http://internet.boredblogs.net/?p=2363

I suppose it's good news, but I don't know who is going to publish in a format that can't be read by most people's preferred browser (IE).

What is the path to broad acceptance and interoperability? People try to play Ogg Theora content under IE, and they get a message saying they need to install Firefox and Ogg? They do so, and they like FF, and they migrate from IE to FF? Okay, but it seems that the content's usage will suffer compared to content published using Flash. I guess the content will have to be published in both formats, with the Theora format presented first.

Somebody please expound on how Theora is to reach critical mass (so to speak) and how that will be an improvement over the current situation.

They can just put a link to download VLC for windows users, much less problems
then what microsofts formats makes to other platforms when we are offered to
install software that don't run on our machines.

If Microsoft care about their users they should support ogg too, but they
only listen to mpa,riaa and so on, and don't touch open formats, just as
other companies close to the media mafia, Sony for example.

It's not only PC's out there, we will also be able to see video on play consoles
and mobile devices, so it's time for an open standard to take over, and they
who don't like should start to think a bit why it's bad with proprietary video
codecs and file formats.

/bb