[News] IBM Claims to Have Hurt Microsoft's Crown Jewels with Lotus, ODF

IBM Lotus: we're beating Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's Lotus business claims to be winning millions of seats away from
| Microsoft's Exchange, including some key wins in emerging markets. Lotus
| outgrew Microsoft in 2Q08, company officials claimed.
|
| [...]
|
| Picciano's gibe is presumably at least in part a reference to his company's
| adoption of the OpenDocument Format for Symphony, as opposed to Microsoft's
| effort to have its proprietary file format adopted as an international
| standard - a move that caused considerable controversy, including allegations
| of irregularities in the standard-setting process.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19775/1054/

IBM Growth in Emerging Markets Fuels Lotus Momentum

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ibm-growth-emerging-markets-fuels/story.aspx?guid=%7BB457F4AE-144E-498C-8403-72800959376F%7D&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/5fmfje

It's not Free software, but it uses ODF and it runs on GNU/Linux.

Recent:

Finally, Notes on Linux is here and ready

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, Lotus Notes 8 on SLED is here and it's ready for business. It's now
| time for IBM to take the bull by the horns and modernize this legacy
| groupware client to make it even better.
|
| Hey, it does what few others do – offers a consistent cross-platform user
| experience.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/blog/talkingtech/2008/07/finally_notes_on_linux_is_here_and_ready

Recent:

IBM, allies offer Microsoft-free PCs for E.Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| International Business Machines Corp (IBM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said
| it was offering the PCs based on the open-source Linux operating system
| together with Red Hat (RHT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) software distributor
| VDEL of Austria and Polish distributor and services firm LX Polska in
| response to demand from Russian IT chiefs.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINL0486847020080304?rpc=44

Lotus Notes 8.5 to fully support Ubuntu Linux 7.0 in mid-2008

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9058900&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_top