[News] Newbie Raves About the Latest Debian GNU/Linux

New Debian GNU/Linux Update

,----[ Quote ]
| A new Debian GNU/Linux Update was released a few weeks ago - well, actually
| one and a half new updates, to be precise. I just got around to giving it a
| try, and I'm pleased and impressed.
|
| The new release is 4.0r4a, and it incorporates security updates and bug
| fixes. At the same time, they have released what they call
| an "etch-and-a-half" release, which adds support for new hardware to their
| current stable release, largely by updating to a newer Linux kernel (2.6.24
| instead of 2.6.18). Given that Debian tends to be VERY conservative about
| updates to stable versions, this is a big step forward.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10009049o-2000498448b,00.htm

Recent:

Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 updated with support for newer hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian project is pleased to announce the fourth update of its stable
| distribution Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (codename etch).

Debian looks to launch lenny in Sept.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian project's maintainer, Luk Claes, announced in an email Saturday
| that he will freeze the "testing" or "Lenny" tree, in preparation for a new
| stable release of Debian Linux. On Claes's checklist for September
| 2008: "Release lenny!"

Deploying KDE [+Debian GNU/Linux] to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft