[News] [SOT] Media Bullies and MAFIAA Agents Take Over Government, Internet

Music, movie lobbyists push to spy on your Net traffic

,----[ Quote ]
| A representative of the recording industry said on Monday that her companies
| would prefer to enter into voluntary "partnerships" with Internet service
| providers, but pointedly noted that some governments are mandating such
| surveillance "if you don't work something out."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10019622-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Spying as a business model. Will these guys get a clue already?

,----[ Quote ]
| Wish I could read minds because I'd love to know what the representatives
| from Comcast and Verizon were thinking as they listened to lobbyists from the
| recording and film industries push them to snoop on their customers.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-10019860-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The RIAA shuts down Muxtape

,----[ Quote ]
| Free music mixtape service Muxtape has temporarily been shut down due to
| pressure from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). There's
| not much more information about downtime besides a small note on the front
| page of Muxtape.com saying that "Muxtape will be unavailable for a brief
| period while we sort out a problem with the RIAA."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10019778-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Last week:

Antipiracy Campaign Exasperates Colleges

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, feeling burdened and betrayed, some of those universities are quietly
| fighting back, resisting requests for information and trying to quash
| subpoenas. Those that do so, though, find that their past compliance — and
| the continued compliance of their peer institutions — is being held against
| them.
|
| "We feel like we've been led down the garden path, and our interest in
| working in partnership and leading our mission as educators is now being used
| against us," said Tracy Mitrano, director of IT policy at Cornell University.
|
| [...]
|
| "At the point where universities finally come to see they're the target of
| this RIAA campaign, that's the point at which they'll start arguing their own
| self-interest," says Charles R. Nesson, founder of the Berkman Center for
| Internet and Society at Harvard Law School. He believes the RIAA is trying to
| wear universities down with letters and subpoenas until they give in and
| install filtering software, a policy precedent that the RIAA may then decide
| to use against commercial ISP's.
`----

http://chronicle.com/free/v54/i49/49a00104.htm

Allman Brothers sue UMG for 'digital exploitation'

,----[ Quote ]
| The popular group, formed in the 1960s, sued UMG Recordings in federal court
| on Monday, claiming it was the victim of "digital exploitation." They are
| asking for a larger cut of recordings sold through third parties, demanding
| at least $13 million and additional royalties from CD sales and digital
| downloads.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10015319-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

One Man's Quest to Digitize and Publicize Rare Vinyl

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/08/one-mans-quest.html