[News] GNU/Linux Has Best Killer App: The Firefox Web Browser

Is the “killer app” argument dead?

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m feeling the influence that Firefox is having on standardizing the web
| browsing experience across Windows, Mac and Linux.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2417

building the complete browser for everyone everywhere

,----[ Quote ]
| There are a few important things to note here. First, that Mozilla is the
| complete package. We’ve got everything that you need to implement a browser.
| Disk cache, integrated (and well tested!) networking, a super-fast JS
| implementation, an XML UI markup language (XUL) and a brand that regular
| humans recognize. Those things mean you can get to market faster as a mobile
| integrator or developer instead of having to create them yourselves again.
|
| Second, our neutral stance. We believe in the web over any particular
| platform. From Nokia’s standpoint if you’re building on the same technology
| that one of your major competitors is leading vs. working with someone who
| absolutely wants a web browser to succeed across all of Nokia’s platforms -
| which partner would you choose? I’ve often said “pick your partners
| carefully” and this has to be an important part of any technology decision
| making process.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=601

Recent:

Interview: Qt Comes to Mozilla and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| Developers from Nokia and Mozilla have been working hard to port the Mozilla
| Platform and Firefox to Qt and there are now some solid results available. An
| experimental build of Firefox Qt is available, and you can download the
| sources from Mozilla's mercurial repository. The plan is to merge the Qt
| branch into the central Mozilla branch to make the port official. KDE Dot
| News spoke to developer Oleg Romaxa from Nokia who came to Akademy 2008 from
| Finland.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1218543988/

Linux and Web 2.0: the Killer Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| I said I wouldn't post as much about technology unrelated to the Web, but I
| have noticed that Linux is a hot topic on Digg right now. The OS - and, let's
| face it, Linux is easier to define when we just view it as an OS - has been
| gaining momentum ever since Windows Vista turned into a nightmare for
| Microsoft. Actually, the word "momentum" is probably too strong, it is more
| like "gaining a little traction after spinning its wheels for so long" or
| maybe "finally emerging from complete obscurity".
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux_and_web_2_0

Forget Facebook. The Web's platform is Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| That user experience is starting to evolve beyond today's browsing
| experience. The most interesting topic discussed in our meeting was just how
| compelling Mozilla's Firefox will increasingly be as the platform for much
| that happens on the Web. Forget Facebook, MySpace, the iPhone, and other
| so-called platforms. Firefox could well prove to be the most disruptive Web
| platform on the market. Here's why.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9893479-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Start-up Xcerion offers a peek at the clouds

http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9893519-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

A walk through Xcerion's icloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Xcerion, a little-known Swedish start-up, has created a browser-based
| environment known as icloud that looks a whole lot like a Windows or Linux
| desktop.
`----

http://www.news.com/2300-1012_3-6234262-1.html?part=rss&tag=6234262&subj=news

Related:

Enterprise Unix Roundup: Unix Heads for the Clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| And if — if — cloud computing advances to the point where we do indeed use
| devices that connect to the cloud with virtually no on-board software,
| Microsoft will be shut out of that part of the cloud, too. Its embedded OS
| has not demonstrated a real market strength or scalability. But Linux has.
|
| [...]
|
| And out on the servers and mainframes that will be serving up this cloud
| goodness? Unix, BSD, Linux ... all secure, all ready to scale for any sized
| job.
|
| Pretty scary ... for Microsoft.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3731186

IBM-Google partnership merges best features of Internet and corporate
computing, IBM exec says

,----[ Quote ]
| Isn’t it an advantage to be more diversified, or would you rather rely on a
| huge cash cow like Windows?
|
| Diversity is generally viewed as an advantage. We think it is. On the other
| hand, having a monopoly has its advantages too. What more could you say? They
| make an enormous amount of money on Office and Windows. They have a very low
| cost of sales, relatively modest amount of development. It’s enormously
| profitable. And that’s the characteristic of a monopoly, which you’re allowed
| to have. You’re just not allowed to abuse them.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/020708-mills.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Will the biggest clouds stay open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone wants to become Google these days. In a way.
|
| Google runs Linux.
|
| A lot of enterprises, from banking to health care, are now looking to deploy
| gigantic Internet-facing applications to customer sets numbering in the tens
| of millions. (Government, too.)
|
| The biggest and best IT system suppliers are gearing up for what they
| call “cloud” computing. IBM floated its offering today.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1684

Xcerion's Internet Cloud Forms Over Google and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If successful, it may be able to further erode the power Microsoft
| derives from control of the desktop, to beat Google at its
| software-as-a-service play, and to make commodity Linux boxes more
| viable as a computing platform for the masses.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=R2FGBWGYKLN5OQSNDLPCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=197700815&queryText=xml
http://tinyurl.com/ynkp9q

IBM's Blue Cloud: The Tipping Point for Enterprise IT as Service

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's Blue Cloud, arriving in the first half of 2008, will use IBM
| BladeCenter servers, a Linux operating system, Xen-based virtualization and
| the company's own Tivoli management software.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/54406-ibm-s-blue-cloud-the-tipping-point-for-enterprise-it-as-service?source=yahoo

IBM to turn datacenters into 'computing cloud'

`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071115/tc_infoworld/93434