[News] [Rival] Revolt and Call for Legal Action Against Microsoft Vista in Taiwan

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Revolt and Call for Legal Action Against Microsoft Vista in Taiwan
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:37:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CF files FTC complaint against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The Consumers' Foundation (CF), a private consumer watchdog, filed a
| complaint yesterday with the Fair Trade Commission (FTC) against Microsoft
| over the software giant's pulling Windows XP from the Taiwan market in line
| with its migration to the new operating system Vista.
|
| The CF urged the government body to impose sanctions on Microsoft for the
| termination of Windows XP sales in Taiwan.
|
| "We suggest that the FTC slap Microsoft with a heavy fine for impairing
| market fairness," said CF Acting Chairman Hsieh Tien-jen while delivering the
| complaint to the commission.
|
| [...]
|
| "Sixty-seven percent of local users want a return of XP to the market," he
| said, citing the results of another poll.
|
| He described Microsoft's marketing strategy as an abuse of consumer rights.
`----

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/asia/%20taiwan/2008/08/16/170294/CF-files.htm

The FTC is corrupt though. There as a scandal some time ago and is head left.

Recent:

FTC Opens Antitrust Investigation Into Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fair Trade Commission of Japan (JFTC) in 2005 recommended that Intel end
| its practice of offering funds to PC makers in exchange for a commitment not
| to use processors from its competitors. Intel accepted those recommendations,
| which came after a lengthy JFTC investigation, saying at the time it wanted
| to avoid a protracted legal battle.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146794/ftc_opens_antitrust_investigation_into_intel.html
http://tinyurl.com/5dsdds

Related:

US FTC staff not held back on Intel-commissioner

| FTC Chairman Deborah Majoras, a Republican, has rejected requests by
| lawmakers, other commissioners and Advanced Micro Devices Inc to open a
| formal antitrust investigation into its much larger rival Intel, the New York
| Times reported on Monday.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN2245923020071022?rpc=44

Report: FTC rejects calls for antitrust probe of Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The New York Times reported on Monday that FTC Chairman Deborah Majoras has
| rejected requests to escalate at informal review into a formal investigation,
| citing unnamed government officials and lawyers involved in the matter.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/071022/1538729.html?.v=1

FTC won't step up Intel antitrust probe

,----[ Quote ]