Dell "Instant On" screenshot

  • Subject: Dell "Instant On" screenshot
  • From: bbgruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:18:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First screenshot I've seen, along with a video explanation:-

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/15/dells-latitude-on-instant-os-detailed-screenshooted/

I've just realised how little I knew about this "instant on" stuff, from both
Asus and Dell.

In the video, they seem to be saying that this is a separate processor, flash
memory, etc. with a specially tailored Linux OS (SLED?).
If so, that already answers several questions I had.

However, they seem to say that this sysyem has full access to the H/W, which
seems a bit odd.  If it's spinning up the disk etc., where is this "days
instead of hours" on a charge coming from?

When I saw that Dell were about to do an "instant on", I almost wrote here to
suggest that this facility would provide what users needed for 90% of the
time (and what *that* would do to those User Share figures so beloved of the
Windows Enthusiasts here!).  I'm glad I didn't, because I would have been
wrong - the Dell guy says 95%!

If anybody has links to specs, reviews of this or Asus, etc, I'd be obliged:-)