[News] PowerPC Macs Ripe for GNU/Linux, AMD-powered UMPCs Rumoured

Got any old iMacs laying around?

,----[ Quote ]
| You know the ones I’m talking about. The candy-colored ones that live
| forever, even as you’re hoping they’ll die so you can replace them with
| something that will run OS X? A few can be upgraded, but OS X is really made
| for something a bit, well, snappier. Instead of wishing for them to die,
| though, why not just install Ubuntu on them?
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1806

Will 'netbooks' crush laptop sales?

,----[ Quote ]
| Advanced Micro Devices has no immediate plans to release a processor designed
| for low-cost laptops, sometimes called netbooks, saying its not yet clear
| whether or not growing shipments of these devices will cannibalize sales of
| mainstream laptops.
|
| Some low-end netbook models use an existing AMD Geode processor, but the
| company hasn't announced a specific processor aimed at this product segment,
| apart from general plans to release chips based on a low-power architecture
| called Bobcat in 2010.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/news.asp?id=49507

The multi-national fat cat seems confused:

Intel rebrands Centrino Atom

,----[ Quote ]
| It's dropped an Atom bomb, and there are expected to be many casualties.
| Probably the brand manager for the Centrino Atom will be one of the worst
| affected by the fallout.
|
| Intel capitulated on this Centrino brand after just five months, opting
| instead to use just the Atom brand across this part of its product line.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/14/intel-drops-bombshell

Recent:

Intel & Microsoft Killed the $100 Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Intel_Microsoft_Killed_the_100_Laptop/551-92095-581.html