[News] Coverage of a Big Victory for Free Software/Copyleft in Court

huge and important news: free licenses upheld

,----[ Quote ]
| So for non-lawgeeks, this won't seem important. But trust me, this is huge.
|
| I am very proud to report today that the Court of Appeals for the Federal
| Circuit (THE "IP" court in the US) has upheld a free (ok, they call
| them "open source") copyright license, explicitly pointing to the work of
| Creative Commons and others.
`----

http://lessig.org/blog/2008/08/huge_and_important_news_free_l.html

Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit Overturns Jacobsen v. Katzer - Ruling as
text

,----[ Quote ]
| This just in: the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit has
| just overturned [PDF] the lower court's decision in  Jacobsen v. Katzer, the
| model train case.

A Big Day in Court for the FOSS Community

,----[ Quote ]
| Today those who believe in free content and free and open source software won
| a major victory in court, as reported by Larry Lessig, Mark Radcliffe,  and
| Pamela Jones, among others.  The underlying facts, and the legal counsel
| involved, were hardly major figures on the commercial landscape: the open
| source software at issue had been developed for model train buffs under an
| infrequently used free and open source license, and the attorney was young
| and inexperienced.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080813143330810

Related:

Wallace's Appeal Firmly Rejected - GPL Has Nothing to Fear [pdf]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/WallaceAppealRejected.pdf