[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Reaches Enterprises

Canonical's Power Play

,----[ Quote ]
| So the takeaway from LinuxWorld seems to be this: Watch out for Ubuntu and
| community Linux in general, coming soon to an enterprise near you.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3765106

Days ago:

Canonical To VARs: 11% of U.S. Businesses Use Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| In an effort to rally solutions providers around Ubuntu Linux, Canonical is
| telling resellers that 11 percent of U.S. businesses already run Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/08/10/canonical-to-vars-11-of-us-businesses-use-ubuntu-linux/

Recent:

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Vista: DOA in the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| The really bad news for Microsoft: the number of business PCs running Windows
| XP increased from 2007 to 2008—three times the increase in the percentage of
| PCs running Vista.
|
| Perhaps worse: The majority of businesses waiting for Vista—meaning those
| running older Windows versions—migrated to XP instead. Microsoft had counted
| on Windows 2000 and older versions to go to Vista. The newest Windows saw
| some conversion, but XP got much more.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/vista_doa_in_the_enterprise.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/5by7m4

Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out
| of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal
| computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%, Gartner says.
`----

http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1

Linux still super in Top500

,----[ Quote ]