Re: [News] Top EPO Figure: Patents Are Moot in Age of Cooperation

thufir wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:44:39 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

If you're prepared to accept that the two items above are acceptable, it
must surely be the case that downloading someone else's recording of
something which was streamed to your house but you weren't there to
watch it, and forgot to set the video, should also be okay, should it
not?

Well, actually, not because now the other person is distributing content which they don't have a license for. Similarly, if you distribute GPL'ed software be ready to provide the source. The same laws, so far as I know, come into play.

This is a tricky one. I'd say that if you are a valid subscriber to the channel that broadcast it then licensing for you takes place between the broadcaster and the rights owners.