[News] Great FOSS Equivalents for Monitoring, Management, ERP

Another way of monitoring

,----[ Quote ]
| There is another option: Open source monitoring applications.
`----

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;1072009046;fp;4;fpid;1976458394

Eating Alfresco: the healthier FOSS alternative to SharePoint

,----[ Quote ]
| I assisted a company today with a spectacular Microsoft Office SharePoint
| Services (MOSS) crash. The experience showed some folly in the oft-claimed
| mantra that Windows-based applications are graphical and friendly. In fact,
| here’s a free Linux-friendly open source package called Afresco which makes a
| better SharePoint than SharePoint.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20014/1141/

Southern Book Company Increases Net Margins, Doubles Revenue with Open Source
ERP

,----[ Quote ]
| Atlanta-based Southern Book Company (SBC) has successfully implemented a
| hosted version of solution provider's Compiere open-source enterprise
| resource planning (ERP) systems, the solution provider has announced.
`----

http://www.sdcexec.com/web/online/IntegrationERP-News/Southern-Book-Company-Increases-Net-Margins--Doubles-Revenue-with-Open-Source-ERP/35$10613
http://tinyurl.com/6oskpv

Recent:

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/04/01/vc-funding-for-open-source-hits-an-all-time-high/

How Open Technology Could Lead Us Out Of Recession

,----[ Quote ]
| At the same time, the United States has not only lost its former dominance in
| world technology, it is rapidly achieving a status of "a nation of
| shopkeepers".
|
| We need to remove the barriers to entering the market. We need to be the
| innovators in science and technology again. We need to regain the excitement
| we had about scientific progress back in the 1940's and 1950's. We need
| technicians in white lab coats, and we need to look up to them because they
| are giving us wonderful things like atomic power and trips to the moon again.
| We need kids to be excited about getting a chemistry set again. We need to
| let those garage start-ups break out of that garage and open up their own
| factory. We need to bring back homebrew computer clubs. We need people who
| can say that they know something about computers besides how to turn one on.
|
| In short, we need more geeks. Geeks make money.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=how_open_technology_could_lead_us_out_of&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]