[News] GNU/Linux Desktop as Pretty as Anything Else

10 Reasons why GUI Doesn’t Matter

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot have been said about user experience, themes and looks of your OS in
| general. Some claim that OSX has the best GUI around. Aero fans drool over
| its fancy windows flip thingy. But does it really all matter? Take a look and
| decide yourself.
`----

http://168hours.wordpress.com/2008/08/12/10-reasons-why-gui-doesnt-matter/

Many pictures.

The visual layer (compatible with skinning) is thin and shallow. It's what's
underneath that ultimately counts.

1000+ Desktop Wallpapers for your Asus Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| Below you’ll find several resources for desktop wallpapers perfectly sized
| for your Asus Eee PC (800×480). If you know of any other good Eee PC
| wallpaper resources by all means please leave a comment with the link.
`----

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/08/12/1000-desktop-wallpapers-for-your-asus-eee-pc/

5 + 1 beautiful designs for Ubuntu 8.10 “Intrepid Ibex”

,----[ Quote ]
| 2 of 5 designs above are deeply inspired by the Union theme, which was
| proposed for hardy. I think it’s still wonderful...
`----

http://fabrizioballiano.net/2008/08/12/beautiful-designs-for-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex/

Recent:

My favorite useful Compiz features

,----[ Quote ]
| Personally, I am most concerned with the Compiz plugins that add
| functionality to my desktop. There are plenty of those too. I am going to
| outline some of my favorites and most useful.
`----

http://adventuresinswitching.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-favorite-useful-compiz-features.html

Related:

Compiz is the Most Important Thing to Ever Happen to Linux.

,----[ Quote ]
| If the Linux community wants to wipe Windows and Mac out of the OS business
| all they need to do in focus all of their collective efforts on developing
| Compiz. With the combine intelligence of hundreds of thousands of nerds we
| could develop the most pimped out windows management system known to mankind.
| The kids don’t want stability, they want an OS w/ rims that spin.
`----

http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-important-thing-to-ever-happen-to-linux

Compiz is Cool – and Why That Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most vexed questions within the open source world is when, if
| ever, GNU/Linux will take off on the desktop. Strangely, this isn't really
| about capabilities: as someone who has Ubuntu running on both of his main
| systems, I can attest to the fact that GNU/Linux is not just usable, it's a
| downright pleasure to use. In fact, I constantly marvel at how transparent
| open source has become: most of the time I'm simply not aware that I'm using
| it – it just works.
|
| This raises the interesting question: so what's missing? What more does open
| source need to do in order to capture the attention of the general user? I
| think the answer can be found on this YouTube video.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=701&blogid=14

Compiz and Compiz Fusion 0.7.6 out in wild

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~cyberorg/2008/06/01/compiz-and-compiz-fusion-076-out-in-wild/