[News] ISO and Microsoft Redefine "Consensus" After OOXML Corruptions

What consensus means

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last year I’ve noticed that quite a few people are using the
| word “consensus” in a way which differs from my understanding of what
| consensus is about.
|
| [...]
|
| For instance, in the case of the BRM for OOXML, it has been stated by
| several, and ISO/IEC officials in particular, that the decisions were made
| by “consensus”. Was it so, though? I certainly don’t think so.
|
| [...]
|
| As if that was not enough ISO/IEC officials went on to then recommend to its
| respective boards of directors (SMB & TMB) to dismiss the appeals filed by
| Brazil, India, South Africa, and Venezuela. Now, I don’t know what an appeal
| is if it’s not a clear expression of “sustained opposition”.
`----

http://lehors.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/what-consensus-means/

The OOXML disaster is now over yet. It cost Microsoft a lot. ISO is wounded as
well.

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2007/12/dysfunctional-iso-courtesy-of-microsoft.html

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777