[News] [Rival] Copyrights Violator Microsoft in Copyrights Problem

Microsoft in Flickr rights shockr

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has always been rather strident on the topic of copyright
| infringement, as you may have noticed, which makes tale of its "Iconic
| Britain" photo contest all the more astonishing.
|
| The competition was designed as part of the marketing campaign around Windows
| Live Image Search, with Nikon as the prize partner. Unlike most photographic
| competitions, which tend to involve photographers submitting their own work
| (crazy, I know), this one invited entrants to search for other people's
| online pictures, then submit the ones they felt were iconic British stuff, in
| the hope of winning a Nikon camera. As for the photographers themselves, they
| get nada--not even a link-back to their site or a credit of their name.
| photos
|
| Spotted the problem yet?
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10015266-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Days ago:

Nikon exits Microsoft photo contest

,----[ Quote ]
| Nikon has withdrawn its support for a photography contest hosted by computer
| giant Microsoft after a row over potential copyright infringement.
|
| [...]
|

| In a statement issued to Pro Imaging, Microsoft said: 'We have since taken
| steps to obtain the rights to use every image to be featured in the
| subsequent stages of the Iconic Britain competition.'
`----

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/_Nikon_exits_Microsoft_photography_contest__Photographers_blast_Microsoft_over_copyright_rules_news_264915.html

Related:

Grisoft subpoenas Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The website, alleges Grisoft, infringes its copyrights and trademarks.
|
| The lawyers said: "The website's proponent, with MSN's facilitation, is
| taking a 'free ride' on our clients rights" and the proponent of the website
| is distributing AVG software for a fee.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/19/grisoft-subpoenas-microsoft

School sues Microsoft over copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| But it's complicated because the wire reports Microsoft Philippines bought
| licences to print the manual back in 2004.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/17/school-sues-microsoft-copyright

Microsoft to eBay name for $1m

,----[ Quote ]
| Portuguese outfit Microsoft Lda aims to cash in on its name by eBaying the
| brand and business for a starting price of $1m, Reuters reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/17/microsoft_name_auction/

Portuguese firm Microsoft to auction name on eBay

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKL1730253520071217?rpc=44

Microsoft infringing on one of Apple Patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| Keep in mind I am not a patent researcher, and I am sure Apple is not
| going to sue Microsoft for abusing one of their patents, but it does
| at least look like Microsoft is abusing this patent.
`----

http://www.noheat.com/2007/06/22/microsoft-infringing-on-one-of-apple-patents/

Handling of Microsoft's copyleft violation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/archives/2006/12/microsoft-copyright-photograph.html