[News] "Patents Should Die"; Intellectual Monopoly is Not Property

Patents should die

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent Weakness #1: The patent office is filled with lawyers not
| scientists/engineers.
|
| The patent office has, for the past decade or so, been giving out patents for
| genes and software like Amazon’s One Click.
|
| Pharma companies didn’t invent DNA or genes. They simply discovered the gene
| for a disease and thereby a possible path to cure. Why should anyone have to
| pay royalties for studying said gene or discovering a cure independent of the
| pharma that identified the gene.
|
| In my opinion Amazon’s One Click patent was the epitomy of the stupidity of
| the patent office.  The patent clerks kept arguing for prior artwork
| deomonstrating that someone else had already developed a One Click feature.
| This is ludicrous.  The point of software is automate mundane tasks with a
| minimal amount of information and work by the user.  So what does One Click
| do fundamentally different than any other button on any other piece of
| software?
`----

http://blogs.controltheorypro.com/2008/08/patents-should-die/

Why Treating Patents As Property Is A Bad Idea

,----[ Quote ]
| We've pointed out in the past why it doesn't make much sense to
| treat "intellectual property" as "regular property," since it ignores some
| very important differences between the two. James Bessen and Michael Meurer,
| who wrote the recent book Patent Failure have always taken a slightly
| different approach.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080803/1921371875.shtml

Recent:

Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel Laureates
Say

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129