Re: [News] [Rival] Fiasco in Microsoft's Data 'Harvesting' (Possible Violation of Law)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:34:19 -0400
<wtsr3aj3wrsv$.1oitsvdmfahzs.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 05:59:43 GMT, thufir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 20:41:57 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
>>
>>> A court order was required to OBTAIN the information from AOL, but the
>>> stuff was already there meaning they were saving it all.
>>>
>>> I suspect Google and the other big places, Yahoo etc save this stuff as
>>> well.
>>> Storage, even at that level is cheap.
>>>
>>> In any event, it's scary stuff IMHO.
>>

>> What would possess "them" to even capture it in the first place?  I've
>> always just assumed no one would bother to capture it.  How's it go?
>> Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you (or
>> at least capture your chat sessions).
>>

>> -Thufir
>
> I don't know why they would want to, but evidently they do.

I could think of a number of reasons, some of them nasty,
some of them just slightly paranoid regarding bugcatching.
Given that there are evil guys out there (FSVO "evil")
who will want to steal your data, it might be useful to
catch them in the act rather than post-mortem.

Or Microsoft simply wanted to know what everyone is saying,
so that anything pro-Linux can be weeded out and fed to
the appropriate groups, such as XBox 360 Live subscription
requests.

Privacy is an interesting concept in the Information Age.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
while(bit&BITMASK) ;