Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Monday 11 August 2008 11:58 : \____
>
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>> < snip >
>>
>>> The desktop is dead.
>>
>> Bullshit
>
> It's a gradual thing and an overstatement, for sure.

I don't agree that it's an overstatement.  I've just received Dabs'
latest catalogue, and guess how many Vista logos there were?  None.  Not
one.  Clearly, nobody is interested.

How many desktop machines?  Well, maybe one.  Perhaps.
How many laptops/mobile devices?  30+
How many appliances?  Several.

Of particular note is that latest Archos 605? with integrated GPS.

Times change, requirements change, people change.  Nobody is interested
in accessing things which are locked into one place, which is the
fundamental idea behind the "desktop" computer.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |