[News] [Rival] AstroTurfing Microsoft Hypocrites Denounce Privacy Violation

Microsoft slams Google on privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| "I desperately hope that they...in fact I expect, that they will change. They
| will become as grown up as some of the larger companies around, so in some
| respects it's a predictable thing," added Cullen.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10029309-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yes, coming from the company that puts back doors in its software for 'special
access', the company that gets complete copies of all the Web adresses you
ever visit, and eavesdrop on you on your own desktop. It even hires shills
(via LawMedia) to fake fake 'backlash' against Google

You Think the Government Is Going to Stop Google?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google is apparently going to disregard the investigation into any antitrust
| practices, and move forward in its advertising deal with Yahoo! in October,
| unless the government stops them.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/08/29/you-think-the-government-is-going-to-stop-google

Labs Remove Genetic Data from Public Databases After Forensic Breakthrough

,----[ Quoye ]
| But yesterday’s paper proved that assumption wrong. Now it has been reported
| that on Monday, four days before the paper came out, the National Center for
| Biotechnology Information pulled aggregated data off its Database of
| Genotypes and Phenotypes (dbGaP). The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and
| the Wellcome Trust in Britain have also removed aggregate data from public
| view.
`----

http://spittoon.23andme.com/2008/08/29/labs-remove-genetic-data-from-public-databases-after-forensic-breakthrough/

Recent:

Corn Farmers Against Google?

,----[ Quote ]
| Only if they're planting in AstroTurf
|
| [...]
|
| How do you know the organization, and the op-ed, weren't created by LawMedia
| Group at the behest of some well-funded clients? If they did their jobs
| right, you don't know.
|
| Some of them have left digital fingerprints here and there, though, says
| Declan McCullagh, in a blockbuster of a report exposing the intellectual
| whoredom offered for various important issues. Shortly after Microsoft hired
| LawMedia, for example, legislators, national agencies, and news outlets
| received pointed complaints from coalitions of farmers, rural voters, and
| geeky Latinos about how Google's advertising deal with Yahoo would wreck
| everything.
|
| [...]
|
| Don't call them a PR firm or a lobbying firm though, Law Media – which has a
| ton of lawyers working for them too—is a "public affairs firm" specializing
| in producing "remarkable coalitions" for anything one might need a coalition
| for.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/08/14/corn-farmers-against-google

Related:

Astroturfing

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2001, the Los Angeles Times accused Microsoft of astroturfing
| when hundreds of similar letters were sent to newspapers voicing
| disagreement with the United States Department of Justice and its
| antitrust suit against Microsoft. The letters, prepared by Americans
| for Technology Leadership, had in some cases been mailed from
| deceased citizens or nonexistent addresses.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools in a
| scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the tools --
| Microsoft will send you a check for $200.
`----

http://chronicle.com/data/articles.dir/art-44.dir/issue-33.dir/33a03001.htm

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Microfraud?