[News] Poland Now Gives Windows Refunds to GNU/Linux User/s

How to get a refund for Windows in Poland?

,----[ Quote ]
| Reading the Slashdot article about Dave Mitchell from Great Britain, who got
| a 47 pounds refund from Dell for returning his copy of Windows was an
| inspiration for me to check, if it is possible in Poland, too. This is my
| success story.
|
| I am a 3rd year’s student of Information Technologies at the University of
| Lodz. In September 2007 I’ve purchased the Lenovo ThinkPad R61i laptop
| from “Poltronics” company in Lodz, for 3355 PLN. From the very beginning I’ve
| been informing the seller, that I won’t be using Windows, because it is Linux
| I work on. In return, I was told, that they cannot sell me the laptop without
| the Windows OS pre-installed. At that point in time, Lenovo didn’t offer the
| ThinkPads with Linux, as they are now (with SLED) on the (more expensive)
| ThinkPads T-series.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/how-to-get-a-refund-for-windows-in-poland/

Opening the flood Gates [sic].

Lenovo demands vow of silence from Windows wantaway

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo presumably wanted to keep the terms under wraps to prevent a flood of
| refund requests from Linux lovers.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/221766/lenovo-demands-vow-of-silence-from-windows-wantaway.html

Recent:

AbcLinuxu.cz Reimbursed User for MS Windows License from Lenovo ČR

,----[ Quote ]
| The biggest Czech Linux portal, AbcLinuxu.cz, along with its operator, the
| Stickfish company, reimbursed a user for a MS Windows Vista Business OEM
| license in Lenovo ČR's stead. The paid amount is the same the manufacturer
| offered for returning the license in accordance with the EULA of the Windows
| Vista Business OEM software that was supplied with the Lenovo laptop.
| However, Lenovo ČR required a non-disclosure agreement to be signed that
| would cover the entire negotiations with the company and its results for the
| compensation to be effected.
`----

http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/pr/abclinuxu.cz-vyplatil-nahradu-za-licenci-ms-windows-misto-lenovo-cr?page=1

Related:

Microfraud?

,----[ Quote ]
| THE ALLEGATIONS WERE shocking: For years, Microsoft has systematically
| distorted its profit figures in an effort to consistently beat Wall Street
| expectations and keep its stock price steadily rising. The false reports
| would violate SEC regulations, and amount to outright fraud.
|
| More shocking was the source of the allegations: Microsoft's chief of
| internal audits, Charlie Pancerzewski, who reported directly to the company's
| chief financial officer.
|
| Most shocking of all was what happened to Pancerzewski when he reported the
| suspicious bookkeeping to his supervisors, Microsoft CFO Mike Brown and chief
| operating officer Bob Herbold, in the spring of 1995. Soon afterward,
| Pancerzewski—who for nearly five years had received stellar performance
| evaluations—received his first-ever unsatisfactory one, and was eventually
| forced to resign.
|
| Two months ago, Microsoft quietly settled a lawsuit containing these
| allegations, filed in 1997 by Pancerzewski under the Whistleblowers
| Protection Act. The auditor claimed he was wrongfully terminated after
| telling his supervisors that Microsoft might be breaking securities and tax
| laws. The lawsuit made its tortuous way through several rounds of pretrial
| motions until last fall, when US District Judge Carolyn Dimmick denied
| Microsoft's final plea for summary judgment, finding credible evidence that
| Microsoft may have violated SEC rules, as Pancerzewski alleged. Shortly
| thereafter, Microsoft and Pancerzewski settled out of court. Terms of the
| agreement were sealed, but one source who claims familiarity with the case
| says that Microsoft paid Pancerzewski $4 million.
`----

http://web.archive.org/web/20070308032343rn_2/www.seattleweekly.com/1999-01-06/news/microfraud.php

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Dell's secret Linux fling

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/122106/PLEX0_2455.pdf

Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa Attorne

,----[ Quote ]
| Going back now to as early as 1998, Microsoft starts to realize that
| Linux might pose a possible threat, and Vinod Valloppillil, who is
| a program manager at Microsoft, is asked by Mr. Allchin, Jim Allchin,
| to analyze potential strategies for combatting open-source software,
| and specifically Linux.
| His memos are leaked to the press in April -- I beg your pardon --
| in October of 1998 and become known as the Halloween documents.
| And the evidence will be that Microsoft uses its influence in the
| OEM channel, the computer manufacture channel, to make sure that
| end users have a difficult time buying PCs with Linux preinstalled.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Microsoft_Shuts_Down_Linux_10_Years_Ago_Says_Iowa_Attorney

Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

,----[ Quote ]