[News] Better Silicon Motion Driver for Linux, New VIA X Drivers

Mandriva Improves Silicon Motion Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| Along with VIA releasing a new open-source X.Org video driver, there is work
| underway on improving the status of another open-source graphics driver.
| Silicon Motion is perhaps more obscure than VIA Technologies when it comes to
| integrated graphics, but they primarily specialize in low-power graphics
| chips for tablet PCs.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjY4Ng

VIA releases open source Xorg driver

,----[ Quote ]
| VIA has just released a open source Xorg driver for their integrated graphics
| chips on their linux.via.com.tw portal. Here's the actual download link for
| the source code tarball.
`----

http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2008/08/29/#20080829-via-xorg-driver-opensource

VIA Releases New X.Org Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| What isn't clear though at this time is whether they intend to develop this
| driver openly or what features they intend to provide with this driver. Will
| they be adding EXA and 3D support? Right now this driver can only be
| downloaded from VIA's Linux website (direct download). This xf86-video-via
| driver is not being housed currently in the X.Org git repository where all of
| the other xf86-video-* drivers are nor has this driver even been announced on
| the X.Org mailing list.
|
| While at first the xf86-video-radeonhd that was created by AMD's open-source
| initiative in conjunction with Novell had only mode-setting support with no
| acceleration or other features, at least they had shared their plans. With
| VIA right now we have no idea where they intend to stop. The RadeonHD
| developers are also active in IRC and on mailing lists.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjY4NA

Recent:

Open-Source 3D Success For Radeon RV770

,----[ Quote ]
| We have just found out from AMD's John Bridgman that Alex Deucher, one of
| their open-source engineers, has today successfully rendered its first
| hardware-accelerated triangle on the Radeon HD 4800 series (RV770). In other
| words, the first open-source 3D milestone for this latest graphics card
| family from ATI!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjY3OQ

Review: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (ET:QW)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.headshotgamer.com/review.aspx?id=70