[News] Internet Explorer 8 Fails Before Its Arrival, Antitrust Possible

Privacy feature in Internet Explorer 8 leaks private data

,----[ Quote ]
| Forensic experts however found it trivial to retrieve the history, according
| to a test by Webwereld, an IDG affiliate in the Netherlands, and Fox IT, a
| Dutch firm specializing in IT security and forensic research.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/internet/54575/privacy-feature-internet-explorer-8-leaks-private-data

Are the leaks part of Microsoft's patent application?

Microsoft Issues Warnings on IE 8 Beta 2

,----[ Quote ]
| It may be a Microsoft creation but it doesn't play well with other Microsoft
| products.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3768401/Microsoft+Issues+Warnings+on+IE+8+Beta+2.htm

Opera and Kroes will be angry because:

Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise

,----[ Quote ]
| This week, the promise was broken. It lasted less than six months. Now that
| Internet Explorer IE8 beta 2 is released, we know that many, if not most,
| pages viewed in IE8 will not be shown in standards mode by default. The dirty
| secret is buried deep down in the «Compatibility view» configuration panel,
| where the «Display intranet sites in Compatibility View» box is checked by
| default. Thus, by default, intranet pages are not viewed in standards mode.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/29/hakon_lie_ie8_interoperability/

Microsoft warns of IE8 lock-in with XP SP3

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. yesterday warned users of Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
| that they won't be able to uninstall either the service pack or Internet
| Explorer 8 (IE8) under some circumstances.
|
| The warning was reminiscent of one Microsoft made in May, when Windows XP SP3
| had just been made available for downloading. At the time, the company told
| users they wouldn't be able to downgrade from IE7 to the older IE6 browser
| without uninstalling the service pack.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=knowledge_center&articleId=9113739&taxonomyId=1&intsrc=kc_top

Another reason to just download Firefox 3.x.

Recent:

Microsoft Internet Explorer Vulnerability Warning Issued

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8 beta 1 appear to contain a security
| flaw that could subject users who visit a malicious Web site or open a
| malicious e-mail message to arbitrary code.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/browsers/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208801757

Could IE8 incompatibilities be a boon for Firefox?

,----[ Quote ]
| It also creates a "get ready" call to rival browsers, and particularly
| Mozilla's Firefox, to capitalize on Microsoft's incompatibility with
| itself...
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9967174-16.html

After 'treasure Hunt,' Hacker Releases IE Attack Code

,----[ Quote ]
| The flaw affects IE 7 and IE 8, Raff said. Security vendor Secunia said that
| the bug also affects IE 6.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145953/after_treasure_hunt_hacker_releases_ie_attack_code.html

0day Treasure Hunt: Researcher Hides IE Attack on Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Security researcher Aviv Raff has published code that would allow someone to
| take control of a computer running Internet Explorer, but there's a catch.
| He's not saying exactly where he's hidden the attack.
|
| [..,]
|
| The bug, which affects Internet Explorer 7 and IE 8, could allow an attacker
| to run unauthorized software on a victim's computer. Raff informed Microsoft
| of the flaw on Tuesday and the software vendor has not yet patched it, Raff
| said.
|
| Microsoft didn't get much time to fix the bug, but Raff said he didn't feel
| that Microsoft would address the issue quickly unless he went public with the
| vulnerability.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145602/0day_treasure_hunt_researcher_hides_ie_attack_on_web.html
http://tinyurl.com/573lln

IE8 vs. Firefox and Flock: Which Is the Better Browser?

,----[ Quote ]
| I encountered a few frustrations with IE8. For one, a new tab pops up every
| time I want to send an article or map, even if Hotmail or Yahoo Maps is
| already open, quickly cluttering my browser. Clicking a "mailto" link in a
| Web page opens a standalone, desktop e-mail program rather than Hotmail,
| meaning you have to manually copy and paste the e-mail address.

IE8: The Bad

,----[ Quote ]
| There are quite a few good things about the Microsoft release, such as
| showing that HTML5 is looked at, Acid2 is (almost) being passed, and CSS
| support is improving, but there are quite a few evil things as well...
`----

http://annevankesteren.nl/2008/03/ie8-bad

Will Microsoft Change How ActiveX Runs in IE 8?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some security experts, like Will Dormann, a vulnerability analyst at the
| Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute CERT/CC, are calling for
| ActiveX to be disabled from running by default in IE 8.
|
| Dormann is telling IE users that they should, from a security perspective,
| disable ActiveX controls from running by default. "It would be nice if this
| is something Microsoft did with the next version of the browser," he said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Will-Microsoft-Change-How-ActiveX-Runs-in-IE-8/

Opera CTO: How to fix Microsoft's browser issues

,----[ Quote ]
| Embrace the standards, nicely, or get out of browsers
|
| If there was a functioning market for web browsers and operating systems, the
| past few weeks would have seen two announcements from Microsoft. After a
| firestorm of criticism from the web design community about Internet Explorer
| 8's misguided mode switching proposal, Redmond would have publicly backed
| down. Second, Microsoft would have bowed to 90,000 users demanding that
| Windows XP continue to be sold.
|
| There were no such announcements. Why? Because Microsoft, with its dominating
| position in the web browser and operating system markets, acts like a
| monopoly.
|
| A monopoly doesn't have to consider its customers' wants or needs. In a
| functioning market, vendors must consider such things in order to compete
| successfully. But the market isn't functioning.
|
| Microsoft's failure to respond to its customers' outcry shows that it is time
| to call on established antitrust laws that allow governments to impose
| sanctions on a vendor that has a dominant position in a market. The purpose
| of these sanctions is to ensure competition and innovation and thereby create
| a market in which consumers are heard.
|
| Recently, the European Commission opened several investigations into
| Microsoft's dominant position. As a regulatory body, they could decide to
| impose sanctions and while Microsoft might ignore their frustrated customers,
| they would have a harder time ignoring the European Commission.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/19/hakon_ms_reform_plan/

Microsoft Spins IE 8 Rendering Changes

,----[ Quote ]
| News Commentary. Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 press release is shameless
| propaganda.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft claims the move is "consistent with its efforts to promote further
| interoperability across the Web." The press release reads like Microsoft is
| taking some new, bold interoperability position with IE 8.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/microsoft_spins_ie8_rendering_changes.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Microsoft promises IE 8 Beta 1 with a smiley face in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| After a less than enthusiastic reception and take-up of IE7, 14 months after
| its release, is there any reason to think that IE8 will succeed where its
| predecessor failed in halting the meteoric rise of Firefox?
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15869/1023/

IE8

,----[ Quote ]