[News] In Praise of Free Software for Content Management

Elgg Offers Educators Safe Open Source Social Networking Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| For the past couple of years I volunteered at my son's elementary school to
| set up blogs for his classroom, but the projects never got off the ground.
| Nervous school IT staff unable to find a platform that offered them the
| privacy and control they wanted, and knew parents would demand, always nixed
| the deal. Elgg, a new open source social networking platform aimed
| specifically at the education market, solves this problem by providing a
| safe, open source alternative to the popular blogging platforms such as
| LiveJournal and Blogger, and the even scarier (at least to them) Facebook and
| MySpace. What's more, Elgg gives users complete control over privacy.

Drupal, Dries, Acquia and Community Contributions

,----[ Quote ]
| Drupal is a fantastic open source content management framework which has been
| getting rave reviews from some of the best industry experts.  Dries Buytaert
| is the founder of Drupal. Drupal has reached new heights under the vision of
| Dries and help from a growing developer base.
`----

http://communitythugs.wordpress.com/2008/08/28/drupal-dries-acquia-and-community-contributions/

Recent:

Dries Buytaert, 29

,----[ Quote ]
| Created as an open-source project by Dries Buytaert, Drupal is a free content
| management framework--a tool for building customized websites quickly and
| easily, without sacrificing features or stability. Site owners can choose
| from a list of possible features: they might, say, want to publish ­articles,
| offer each user a profile and a blog, or allow users to vote or comment on
| content. All these features are optional, and most are independent of the
| others.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/TR35/Profile.aspx?TRID=688

Acquia Expands Technical Team

,----[ Quote ]
| Acquia, a new software company offering commercial support for the Drupal
| social publishing system, today announced the addition of five new
| individuals to its technical team. With these new additions, Acquia, which
| was launched at Drupalcon in March, marks a 50-percent growth in company
| personnel.

Acquia to Ship Commercially Supported Drupal Build

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/web-cms/acquia-to-ship-commercially-supported-drupal-build-002587.php