[News] Big Rewards Offered for Free Software-like Contributions

Some news is good news--online coaches will help shape $5 million ideas

,----[ Quote ]
| And the best news for the open source community? The rules stipulate that
| applications must:
|
|    1. Use or create digital, open-source technology as the code base.
|    2. Serve the public interest.
|    3. Benefit one or more specific geographic communities.
|
| Past winners I have had the pleasure of meeting include Sir Tim Berners-Lee
| and Martin Moore ($350,000), Chris Csikszentmihályi, Mitchel Resnick, and
| Henry Jenkins ($5,000,000), and Adrian Holovaty ($1,100,000). Bravo, all! As
| for future winners, they could include you, if you have a great idea about
| how open source can be applied to improving the quality and impact of civic
| discourse.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/366

Related:

Recipients of Second Annual Mellon Awards for Technology Collaboration
Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation today awarded $650,000 in prizes to ten
| not-for-profit institutions in the second annual Mellon Awards for Technology
| Collaboration (MATC).
`----

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/896675/

Mellon Awards for Technology Collaboration Announced

http://www.govtech.com/gt/articles/218295

Second Annual Mellon Awards for Technology Collaboration Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mellon Awards honor not-for-profit organizations for leadership
| in the collaborative development of open source software tools
| with particular application to higher education and
| not-for-profit activities.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/second-annual-mellon-awards-technology-collaboration-announced
http://tinyurl.com/yqq78k

Old:

Education, information access top Mellon Foundation award winners

,----[ Quote ]
| The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation earlier this month announced the
| first winners in its planned annual Mellon Awards for Technology
| Collaboration (MATC), granting 10 recipients cash prizes of $50,000
| to $100,000. The awards recognize contributions to open sources
| oftware that benefit higher education and nonprofit organizations.
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/12/1940232&from=rss

Mellon Foundation invites nominations for open source awards

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/06/05/18/1931219.shtml?tid=138