[News] More New Journeys to Ubuntu GNU/Linux

Interesting side project: Setting up an Edubuntu machine for a special friend

,----[ Quote ]
| In any event, even if Linux proves to be too strange for the student or it
| needs to run some specific Windows app and blows all this away, so what. In
| the end the kid needs to be happy and productive, that is all that matters.
| And I know Walter, being the maverick that he is might take a liking to it
| too since it is in his price-range (teachers are always underpaid as well as
| under appreciated) and embraces many of his ideals, who knows. I did try to
| overcome the one stumbling block that many Windows users have when trying
| Linux for the first time (and a Debian-based distro to boot) is how software
| and drivers are installed. With Windows it either comes on a disk with a
| product or you download it or drive to the store and buy it. With Linux and
| broadband its like you are hooked into this whole ecosystem thats there to
| support you with a single command: apt-get install…
`----

http://www.jbcobb.net/?p=40

Acer Aspire One under Hardy Heron

,----[ Quote ]
| The keyboard is more sensibly designed that the counterpart found on the ASUS
| EEEPC 900-, another great device but marred by the non-functional F keys and
| absence of CPU scaling under Ubuntu.
`----

http://tuxvaio.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-under-hardy-heron.html

Recent:

Acer Aspire One ZG5 (Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Solid-state drive, SD storage expansion slot, relatively good battery life
| from standard 3-cell battery, under 1kg
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;1485857189;pid;6355;pt;1

Acer Aspire one (Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Taking a cue from ASUS’ well-received custom Linux interface, Acer packages
| the system with a lightweight, customized Linpus Lite Linux operating system.
| We just wish this netbook lasted longer on a charge.
`----

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/acer-aspire-one-linux.aspx

The Acer Aspire One Netbook Review

,----[ Quote ]
| We'll be taking a look at the Acer's Aspire One, which makes its debut into
| the rough and ever-evolving world of the netbook market. Featuring an
| 8.9-inch screen packed into a compact frame, this version of the Aspire One
| that we're reviewing uses Linux and has only 8GB of storage space, similar to
| the earlier ASUS Eee PC models. Size wise, this unit is slightly bigger than
| the Eee PC 901, but still smaller than the MSI Wind NB U100.
`----

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=14&id=2619

Acer Aspire One: the new sub-laptop to beat?

,----[ Quote ]
| Mind you, the 120GB HDD-equipped One is only down as £30 more and comes with
| 1GB of memory rather than 512MB, though that's plenty for Linux and do you
| really want a hard drive in a machine that's going to be chucked around a
| lot? Well, at least you have the choice.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/16/eb_acer_aspire_one/

CyberLink Sees Opportunities in Netbooks, Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148475/cyberlink_sees_opportunities_in_netbooks_linux.html

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579