[News] First-sized Computer Runs GNU/Linux

A real Space Oddity arrives at PC Pro

,----[ Quote ]
| You may remember that, some time ago, I blogged about an interesting little
| computer curio called the Space Cube. Quite simply, it’s one of the smallest
| PCs in the world, with each side measuring around 2 inches square. I wrote
| that it looked cool, ran on a 300MHz processor and that it probably wouldn’t
| be sold outside of Japan, if at all.
|
| Well, now, we’ve actually gone and got hold of one - the only Space Cube in
| the UK that’s running Linux, in fact. In the flesh it’s even more impressive
| than in pictures, inspiring awe and provoking disbelieving reactions across
| the PC Pro office. It’s actually quite difficult to comprehend just how small
| the PC is so, for your delectation, we’ve been taking pictures of the Space
| Cube next to some everyday objects.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2008/08/27/a-real-space-oddity-arrives-at-pc-pro/

Related:

Tiny PowerPC SBC stack runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| EP440xS SBC, together with a similarly-sized I/O expansion board, target
| space-constrained yet performance-hungry applications, and are supported by
| a "complete" Linux BSP, according to the company.

Tips and Tricks for Linux Admins: The State of the Tiny

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a distinct sub-culture in the Unix-type operating universe
| made up of gnarly old geekbeards who were raised up in the
| green-screen command-prompt era. They think X Window is for
| amateurs and any executable over 100K is bloatware. These are
| the wizened gurus who can touch-type 100 words per minute,
| remember every option for hundreds of commands, and who take
| pride at keeping antique hardware in service. Throw away an
| old 386 or 486? Never. Not when it makes a perfectly good
| firewall, printer server, Ethernet bridge, or network router.
| Keeping such antiques in service might require soldering some
| salvaged motherboard components, or re-wiring the power supply,
| or crawling through bins of spare parts to find compatible
| memory modules, but that's routine stuff for these folks.
|
| Me, I have a life. I like modern hardware that works without
| needing an electrical engineer to keep it going. But I also
| like the anti-bloat attitude. The great thing about Linux is it
| can be tailored to fit any hardware for any job. Linux on small
| form-factor computers fits into all kinds of useful niches in
| your network. Unlike old PCs, small form-factor computers are
| quiet, take up less space, and use a lot less power. So let's
| take a look at some of the small form-factor devices that we
| can stuff Linux into.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3655686

OpenMicroServer: Tiny Footprint Linux Server

,----[ Quote ]
| I saw an announcement that the OpenMicroServer (OMS) is now available in the
| U.S. It has been produced in Japan for some time but has just been made
| available domestically. What’s cool about it is that it is small  and can be
| powered from an Ethernet port. It reminded me of the BlackDog USB Server that
| made a splash a couple years back.The little OMS only measures 9” x 4” x 1.3′
| It’s officially supported for Debian (Etch) and NetBSD. Plat’Home also
| maintains their own OS SSD/Linux which is a combination of Linux and BSD
| code. I love little gadgets like these and try to figure out some innovative
| ways to use them.
`----

http://socializedsoftware.com/2008/03/22/openmicroserver-tiny-footprint-linux-server/#more-225

Build a 14.5 watt data center in a shoebox

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/27/small_data_center/